Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 10:50:20 UTC

Object-content mapping tool in Graffito

Hi,

The incubating Graffito project
(http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/) is building a nice
portlet-based content management framework. One of the design goals is
to be independent of the underlying storage model using mapping tools
to present a pure Java object model to higher level components.
Graffito is currently is using Apache OJB to achieve this on top of
relational databases, but they also want to support JCR content
repositories as storage components. To achieve this they've already
created a relatively complete object-content mapping (ocm) tool called
Graffito JCR Mapping
(http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/jcr-mapping/).

There was recent discussion on the Graffito mailing lists about the
ocm tool being ptoentially useful to other people as well, and that
being a Graffito subproject probably doesn't give the tool enough
visibility among JCR users. One idea would be to graduate the Graffito
JCR Mapping subproject into a Jackrabbit subproject to get greater
exposure. The initial response within the Graffito community was
positive to this idea, so I'd like to ask for opinions also from the
Jackrabbit community. Would you think that bringing in the ocm tool
would be a good addition to the set on-top-of-JCR components we
already have?

There are a number of stakeholders to consider and practical issues to
sort out to actually make the idea happen, but I can start taking care
of those if there is general consensus that this would be a good move.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: One more comment

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9/1/06, Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net> wrote:
> However, the ocm code has very few dependencies on Jackrabbit.   Why is
> it then to be a Jackrabbit sub-project?

Good question! We actually have a number of subprojects that only
depend on the JCR API and not on the specifics of Jackrabbit core, the
JCR-RMI subproject being a good example.

The reason for not having each of those subprojects as separate Apache
projects is that there is not enough of a community to maintain them
independently. In fact the reason for proposing bringing the Graffito
JCR Mapping tool to the Jackrabbit project is that I believe the
Jackrabbit community to be more conductive for the ongoing development
of the mapping tool than the Graffito community.

> At the risk of being pedantic, let me suggest to you the idea of an
> Apache Content Repository Project, with Jackrabbit, OCM and CDNUtils
> being co-equal sub-projects (in parallel with the Apache (R)DB Project
> having Derby, JDO and DdUtils as its co-equal sub-projects).

That might well be something that we'll evolve into eventually (like a
few years from now), an Apache JCR federation, but as of now I don't
think it makes sense to start splitting up the Jackrabbit community
over code boundaries. A good indication of when we might start
considering setting up a separate project is when the developers of a
subproject start asking for their own mailing list instead of using
the Jackrabbit dev@ list for communication.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: One more comment

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net> wrote:
> The more I work with Graffito ocm the more I like it.   The code is
> first-rate and deserves to leave incubation.

Damn... I have waited for a long time to hear this :-). Thanks.

> However, the ocm code has very few dependencies on Jackrabbit.   Why is
> it then to be a Jackrabbit sub-project?

I guess what is more important is that it is JCR API based. So,
Jackrabbit will offer an JCR implementation and tools to develop. Nice
combination, imo.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

One more comment

Re: Object-content mapping tool in Graffito

Posted by Sandro Böhme <sa...@gmx.de>.
Hi Dan,

it's nice to see an EMF model mapping for JCR custom node types growing
up. I plan to create a prototype for some kind of a JCRExplorer with
EMF. At the moment I don't know when I can start with it, but it's
certainly planned. If you want, we can collaborate in some way. What
do you think?

Ciao,

Sandro

Posted by Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net>.
I'm for it.

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 1 Sep 2006, at 12:08, Alexandru Popescu wrote:
>
> > The OCM haven't moved too much lately, mainly because of 2 reasons:
> > - the core 2 developers (Christopher and myself) have been quite busy
> > (sometimes it happens)
> > - the tool has already reached a good enough state (I am using it on
> > InfoQ.com authoring tool).
>
> Could you explain a bit how it's being used in your authoring tool?

I am using it as any other Object-to-X mapping solution (for example
Hibernate). My model is mapped to JCR and I am using normal DAOs. Not
sure what else I can say: it is very easy if you have used any other
mapping tool.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Nicolas Modrzyk <Ni...@macnica.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a look at Graffito before, and while it looked promising the
> > site hasn't been updated since february, and no activity has been
> > recorded for a while now (5 weeks ago the license header was updated).
> >
> > Does anyone knows what the status of the project is ?
> >
> > If the project is still moving then yes, this is a great move to do.
> >
> > Nicolas,
> >

> The OCM haven't moved too much lately, mainly because of 2 reasons:
> - the core 2 developers (Christopher and myself) have been quite busy
> (sometimes it happens)
> - the tool has already reached a good enough state (I am using it on
> InfoQ.com authoring tool).
>
> hth,
>
> ./alex
> --
> :Architect of InfoQ.com:
>  .w( the_mindstorm )p.

Forgot to mention: Jukka has brought a fresh breath in the project and
it looks like things are gonna start moving again.

./alex
--
:Architect of InfoQ.com:
 .w( the_mindstorm )p.

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9/1/06, Nicolas Modrzyk <Ni...@macnica.com> wrote:
> I had a look at Graffito before, and while it looked promising the
> site hasn't been updated since february, and no activity has been
> recorded for a while now (5 weeks ago the license header was updated).
>
> Does anyone knows what the status of the project is ?

The project is not too active at the moment, but the mailing list
traffic has been increasing (see the stats at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-graffito-dev/)
since I and a few volunteered to step in as additional project mentors
to help move things forward. Moving the mapping tool to Jackrabbit is
one idea that we came up for better focusing the goals of the project.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Object-content mapping tool in Graffito

Posted by Nicolas Modrzyk <Ni...@macnica.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I would favor this move also to bring back some momentum into this tool.

I have taken a quick look at it and it looks interesting - in fact it is
almost the same as what I have been thinking of in terms of such a tool.

+1

Regards
Felix

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The incubating Graffito project
> (http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/) is building a nice
> portlet-based content management framework. One of the design goals is
> to be independent of the underlying storage model using mapping tools
> to present a pure Java object model to higher level components.
> Graffito is currently is using Apache OJB to achieve this on top of
> relational databases, but they also want to support JCR content
> repositories as storage components. To achieve this they've already
> created a relatively complete object-content mapping (ocm) tool called
> Graffito JCR Mapping
> (http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/jcr-mapping/).
>
> There was recent discussion on the Graffito mailing lists about the
> ocm tool being ptoentially useful to other people as well, and that
> being a Graffito subproject probably doesn't give the tool enough
> visibility among JCR users. One idea would be to graduate the Graffito
> JCR Mapping subproject into a Jackrabbit subproject to get greater
> exposure. The initial response within the Graffito community was
> positive to this idea, so I'd like to ask for opinions also from the
> Jackrabbit community. Would you think that bringing in the ocm tool
> would be a good addition to the set on-top-of-JCR components we
> already have?

+1

cheers
stefan

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yes I think so. By this way, others can review it. I'm not sure that
the sandbox is necessary. We are not mandatory to add it in the first
release.

On 9/8/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/7/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > what about the OCM Spring support ( in [Graffito trunk]/jcr/spring) ?
> > do you plan to move it into Jackrabbit ?
>
> What do you see as the best option? It's tightly related to the OCM
> tool so I think it would make sense to keep them together.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Best regards,

Christophe

Re: Object-content mapping tool in Graffito

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/7/06, Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > what about the OCM Spring support ( in [Graffito trunk]/jcr/spring) ?
> > do you plan to move it into Jackrabbit ?
>
> What do you see as the best option? It's tightly related to the OCM
> tool so I think it would make sense to keep them together.

IMO it should stay together with the OCM, but most probably in a
sandbox directory till we have the time to review and improve it.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
Jukka,

On 9/7/06, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hI,
>
> On 9/7/06, Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > Any idea, at this point, what name you would use for this subproject in
> > Jackrabbit?
> >
> > I have "graffito" in my dependent code now.   I would not want to change
> > this to "jackrabbit" as that would imply a dependency that does not
> > exist.   (Other JCRs are not excluded.)
>
> I would figure that the mapping too would end up as something like a
> "jcr-mapping" project within the "org.apache.jackrabbit" group. Note
> that the "Jackrabbit content repository" appears independently as a
> "jackrabbit-core" project within the same group, so having the mapping
> tool as a Jackrabbit subproject wouldn't imply a code dependency on
> the Jackrabbit core as they would both just share the JCR API
> dependency and the same groupId.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Best regards,

Christophe

Re: Object-content mapping tool in Graffito

Posted by Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net>.
Jukka:

Let me suggest that a *fresh* name for the "jcr mapping" component when
(if) it moves to Jackrabbit would help to 1) create a bigger buzz, 2)
bring in fresh contributors and 3) reduce confusion.

Here are a few suggestions that seem to suggest themselves.    To my
knowledge (which is limited) any one of them could be used without
confusion.

    * Occam
    * Jacob
    * Snowshoe  (non-hibernating jackrabbit)
    * JackInPOX  (like JPOX, Java Persistent ObjectX)
    * Jacko

    -- Dan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
hI,

Posted by Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net>.
Jukka:

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka,

I think an active Object to Content mapping subproject in Jackrabbit
would be a great addition, since this really builds the bridge between
the Java Developer and JCR, basically in a similar way how something
like Hibernate or JDO makes JDBC development faster, simpler and more
reliable. I think that a general purpose Content Repository project
like Jackrabbit is an ideal place to host such a tool set.

Of course there are many reasons why a Content Repository, for
example with its inheritance based node typing is much more
adequate to handle POJO persistence than an RDBMS.

I would be very excited and already "dream" of java annotation
based content mapping and possibly node type definition in my
java source ;)

regards,
david