Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Cyril Briquet <cy...@canopeer.org> on 2009/08/07 21:09:26 UTC

Re: [all] files encoding (was Re: [VOTE] Release Commons-Net 1.5.0-RC4)

> >> Could we change the default for *all* types of text files including java
> >> source files to UTF-8 ?

+1

Also in [math] it would be interesting to use some symbols and some
> greek characters in javadoc and have them both readable when editing the
> file and converted automatically into html whene generating javadoc. For
> now, we use the html 4.0 entities for that and it is barely readable. As
> an example, compare the following source and generated javadoc.

+1

Apparently, the generated Javadoc is encoded by default with yet another
legacy charset:

<!-- Generated by javadoc (build 1.6.0_13) on Sun Aug 02 15:34:31 EDT 2009 -->
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

Useful flags to enable the use of UTF-8 math/greek sympbols in the [math]
Javadoc are described here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javadoc.html#charset

Cyril Briquet