Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/14 00:26:11 UTC

Log4j, CVE-2021-44228, and Mahout

Many of you have probably become aware of Log4j's vulnerability to
CVE-2021-44228 recently.

Though Mahout is a sleepy project, we are vigilant and want you to know we
are aware of the issue and have been monitoring.

First, let me assure you that since Mahout (like over 90% of log4j users)
is on version 1.x it is not vulnerable to the JDNI remote execution attack
[1]. That said, 1.x was set for EOL in 2015, so it's probably time to
update that. I've made a JIRA ticket (MAHOUT-2140)[2].

The update isn't too complex, but it's also not trivial, and most
importantly it's not critical so you're not endangering anything running
Mahout, and we'll hopefully get it in for the next release in a couple of
months.

Hope this helps everyone feel secure going into their holiday season.

~Trevor

[1] http://slf4j.org/log4shell.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MAHOUT/issues/MAHOUT-2140

Re: Log4j, CVE-2021-44228, and Mahout

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.
@Musselman, I sent invite directly to you.

@Anyone-else-interested, please don't be shy, join us:

Apache Mahout
Tuesday, December 28 · 5:00 – 6:00pm (CST, -0600)
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/ajg-rxbo-jvw

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.