Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/09 12:14:17 UTC

Draft Camel Board Report For September 21

Hello all,

I prepared the board report.

Feedback are welcome as always.

The mission of Apache Camel is the creation and maintenance of an
open-source
integration framework based on known Enterprise Integration Patterns.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Membership Data:
Apache Camel was founded 2008-12-17 (13 years ago)
There are currently 79 committers and 38 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 5:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was James Netherton on 2021-04-12.
- Marat Gubaidullin was added as committer on 2021-07-29
- Pasquale Congiusti was added as committer on 2021-07-22
- Zheng Feng was added as committer on 2021-06-30

## Project Activity:
- We released Camel 3.7.5
- We released Camel 3.4.6
- We released Camel 3.11.0
- We released Camel 3.11.1
- The Camel 3.7.x releases are part of the second LTS for Camel 3. We are
  planning to support 3.7.x for one year. We are releasing these LTS with
bug
  fixes
- We released 3.11.0 release: this release is the LTS release with 3.7.x.
  We're going to stop releasing 3.4.x releases and going ahead with those
two
  LTS. We are already working on the new LTS which will be 3.14.0, with two
  intermediate development releases.
- We released Camel K 1.4.1
- We released Camel K 1.5.0
- We released Camel K 1.5.1
- We released Camel K 1.6.0
- We are improving the Camel-K experience and we are expanding and improving
  the Kamelet concept, by introducing more Kameletes to the provided catalog
- The Camel-Quarkus work is going ahead following the main camel releases
with
  multiple releases
- We released Camel-quarkus 2.0.0-M1
- We released Camel-quarkus 2.0.0-M2
- We released Camel-quarkus 2.0.0
- We released Camel-quarkus 2.1.0
- We released Camel-quarkus 2.2.0
- We are continuing working on the Camel-kafka-connector for basing it on
  Kamelet concept
  - 0.10.1 on 23 May 2021
  - The 0.7.x releases are based on the second LTS of main Camel, 3.7.x
- We are working for supporting the next Camel LTS with
camel-kafka-connector
  too
- We'll be featured on the Integration track at ApacheCon @Home 2021 and
  ApacheCon Asia 2021. We received 22 submissions and selected 14 for a two
  day presence at ApacheCon @Home 2021, first day focusing on Camel, second
  day focusing on other ASF projects in the software integration ecosystem.

## Community Health:
- dev@camel.apache.org had a 8% increase in traffic in the past quarter (386
  emails compared to 356): This increase is related to 3.11.x LTS release
and
  migration effort.
- issues@camel.apache.org had a 30% decrease in traffic in the past quarter
  (1616 emails compared to 2280): We are focusing on fixing issues for
3.11.x.
- users@camel.apache.org had a 6% decrease in traffic in the past quarter
  (311 emails compared to 329): the situation is more or less the same of
the
   last quarter, the decrease is probably for the summer time.
- 212 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (-42% decrease) and 209 issues
  closed in JIRA, past quarter (-42% decrease): as reported above, the
  situation is stable. The activity related to Camel 2 is near to zero and
we
  are focusing on old opened issues. We are getting feedback about new LTS
  releases, but many of them are coming from other channel like the zulip
  chat.
- 3053 commits in the past quarter (36% decrease) and 123 code contributors
in
  the past quarter (1% increase): the core Camel team is stabilizing the
  codebase so there is a little decrease in number of commits, contributions
  related to documentation and website is increasing. This is related to
  summer time probably, but also by the fact we are focusing on stabilizing
  the LTS and codebase is more or less stable at the moment.
- 851 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-20% decrease) and 851 PRs closed
on
  GitHub, past quarter (-19% decrease): the code stabilization and less work
  on the camel kafka connector side explain the decrease in number of PRs
open
  and closed. Camel-kafka-connector still needs to be aligned to the new LTS
  with Kamelets support.
- 251 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (38% decrease) and 248 issues
  closed on GitHub, past quarter (24% decrease): The camel-kamelets
repository
  last quarter gave a boost to the github issues, now it's much more stable.