Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM> on 2005/10/16 11:46:39 UTC

derbynet/getCurrentProperties.java fails

I see this on all our test platforms (Sun JVM 1.5.0; Windows/cygwin,
Linux, Solaris):
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/Limited/testSummary-321393.html.

The problem is reported for derbyall, derbynetclientmats and derbynetmats.

Problem seems to be related to r321274 / DERBY-375 (as detected by our
tinderbox test:
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/TinderBox_Derby/Limited/index.html
/
http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/TinderBox_Derby/Limited/testSummary-321274.html).

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: derbynet/getCurrentProperties.java fails

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Deepa Remesh wrote:

>Thanks Ole for posting the files.
>
>In Apache Derby website (http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html),
>step 3 in "How to create a patch" mentions using classes directory to
>run tests. (Be sure to set your CLASSPATH env var to include the
>trunk/classes dir.)  Would it be better to change this to "run tests
>with Derby jars"? I think this also cannot cover all possible cases
>(like sane/insane jars etc) but was wondering if that would be a
>better thing to do.

Dan mentioned this risk in his Security Manager Testing proposal at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/SecurityManagerTesting.   Changing the
instructions to build and  run with the jars would help mitigate this
risk, so seems like a good idea  to me.

Kathey

Re: derbynet/getCurrentProperties.java fails

Posted by Deepa Remesh <dr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ole for posting the files.

I did not catch this problem when I ran tests because I was using
trunk/classes to run tests. When I tried with jars, the tests failed
on my machine too. On looking at  derby_tests.policy, the policy for
running with classes covered writes to derby.system.home directory.
But for derbynet.jar, permission to write to derby.system.home was not
in the policy. I have added that and now the test
derbynet/getCurrentProperties.java passes with jars. I am attaching
the patch for policy file with this mail. If there are any comments,
please let me know. I will upload it to JIRA once tests finish.

In Apache Derby website (http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html),
step 3 in "How to create a patch" mentions using classes directory to
run tests. (Be sure to set your CLASSPATH env var to include the
trunk/classes dir.)  Would it be better to change this to "run tests
with Derby jars"? I think this also cannot cover all possible cases
(like sane/insane jars etc) but was wondering if that would be a
better thing to do.

Thanks,
Deepa

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.