Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Esther Parrilla-Endrino <ep...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/05 19:16:26 UTC

Re: Help needed using VFSLogFilePatternReceiver

Hi again,

Thanks a lot for your responses Scott, browsing previous emails from you I
have managed to display the file remotely via VFS, the only thing that is
not working is the tailing of the file, this is my scenario:

1. I have a test class that saves messages every second to a log file.
2. I have configured my JNLP and .chainsaw/plugins to include the necessary
jars, some of them signed and http-client and commons-codec not signed and
linked in a separate JNLP file.
3. I launch Chainsaw using Java Web Start JNLP file successfully, I choose
my config file and the VFS receiver is created at the right and the
chainsaw-log tab show the first 274 messages saved in the remote log file,
so Chainsaw can connect and display the remote file!!!

OK, that is great but now comes the problem, after the message number 274 in
my chainsaw.-log tab I see the following DEBUG messages:

Resorting to protocol version default close connection policy
Should NOT close connection, using HTTP/1.1
Releasing connection back to connection manager.
Freeing connection, hostConfig=HostConfiguration[host=http://myhost:8080]
Adding connection at: 1257444005417
Notifying no-one, there are no waiting threads

And that's all, no new messages are appended to the display :-(

What does it means? Why Chainsaw has stopped to show messages and do not
tail the file?

The only thing I have found different from the configuration proposed by you
in previous messages of this list is that I am using
commons-httpclient-3.1.jar instead of version 1.3 you proposed.

I have tried to download version 1.3 from Apache site but I could not find
it as the oldest version of this jar file placed there is version 2.0.

Do you know if I could download that jar file from any other location?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
It looks like the DefaultServlet supports the range header, and has for a
long time.

I just tried the 'web start' version of Chainsaw, and it isn't tailing for
http files.

Tailing over http works, but you'll need to build the svn HEAD versions of
chainsaw, log4j, and companions.

Scott

There may have been a fix I've made to the receiver that ad

Posted by Esther Parrilla-Endrino <ep...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.