Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/04/13 13:38:17 UTC

M2-ization of console takes place - the next steps

Hi,

I've just applied the patch to m2-ize console
(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1660). It led to
creation of a new directory - console - with subdirectories
representing respective parts of it. I know it's not yet sync'ed with
the already-used directories and it's not under M1 control. I'll be
working on it, but wonder if there're some other things I should be
taking into account and what the next steps should be. The another
question is when the switch to use the new directory - console -
should take place. Any suggestions?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: M2-ization of console takes place - the next steps

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 4/13/06, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The earliest we can switch to the new console src structure is when we
> start doing the M2 builds. And I think we should switch to the new src
> structure at the first opportunity we get.

That was my question - when is the first opportunity. I think Anita
has come up with a great idea that is aligned with what I had thought
- we need to M1-ize the new console.

> Except for the introduction of M2's pom.xml files in the new src dir
> structure, none of the  console's src files in the existing tree has
> been touched.  So for now the console devs need not have to keep the 2
> dir structures in synch. They can continue to work on the existing
> tree. When we are ready for the move, they just have to copy over all
> their files to the new src tree and delete the old ones.

Yeah, you're right, but before it's done we'll have to work on m1-ization.

> Prasad.

Jacek

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
OK.. That sounds good. M1-ize the new console tree and get rid of the
old structure. Any further work going on in the console will have to
be in this new structure.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 4/13/06, anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Even after the merge, we will be using M1 build for a while. Hence
> for this directory structure change to be accepted smoothly at the time
> of merge, we will have to provide M1 build. We can do this in head
> right now.

That's what I'm going to do in the coming days.

> The files in console are being changed in 1.1, will this new
> structure create more headaches during merge?

Possibly, but I'm sure we can come up with something workable.

> Anita

Jacek

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The earliest we can switch to the new console src structure is when
> we
> start doing the M2 builds. And I think we should switch to the new
> src
> structure at the first opportunity we get.
>
> Except for the introduction of M2's pom.xml files in the new src dir
> structure, none of the  console's src files in the existing tree has
> been touched.  So for now the console devs need not have to keep the
> 2
> dir structures in synch. They can continue to work on the existing
> tree. When we are ready for the move, they just have to copy over all
> their files to the new src tree and delete the old ones.
>
> Cheers
> Prasad.
>
> On 4/13/06, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just applied the patch to m2-ize console
> > (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1660). It led to
> > creation of a new directory - console - with subdirectories
> > representing respective parts of it. I know it's not yet sync'ed
> with
> > the already-used directories and it's not under M1 control. I'll be
> > working on it, but wonder if there're some other things I should be
> > taking into account and what the next steps should be. The another
> > question is when the switch to use the new directory - console -
> > should take place. Any suggestions?
  Even after the merge, we will be using M1 build for a while. Hence
for this directory structure change to be accepted smoothly at the time
of merge, we will have to provide M1 build. We can do this in head
right now. The files in console are being changed in 1.1, will this new
structure create more headaches during merge?

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: M2-ization of console takes place - the next steps

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.