Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Prag <pr...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/08 17:19:24 UTC

Decrease War size, to Decrease Deploy time

I have the following situation:

I have a dev machine and a server machine running Tomcat. When Maven creates
a WAR on the dev machine, it has to be transferred to the server, which
takes some time due to all the libraries in the WAR.

Is there a way to decrease this time? Maybe there somehow is a way to let
Maven manage the library depencencies on Tomcat so that not all libraries
have to be transferred every time? Possibly using other tools?

Re: Decrease War size, to Decrease Deploy time

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.
the was does not include the jars you do not need.
Alternatively, you can add <excludes> to omit transitive dependencies also.

---
Thank You…

Mick Knutson, President

BASE Logic, Inc.
Enterprise Architecture, Design, Mentoring & Agile Consulting
p. (866) BLiNC-411: (254-6241-1)
f. (415) 685-4233

Website: http://baselogic.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mickknutson
---

Posted by Markus Knittig <ma...@myd0.de>.
On 03/08/2009 05:19 PM, Prag wrote:

> I have a dev machine and a server machine running Tomcat. When Maven creates
> a WAR on the dev machine, it has to be transferred to the server, which
> takes some time due to all the libraries in the WAR.
  > Is there a way to decrease this time? Maybe there somehow is a way
to let
> Maven manage the library depencencies on Tomcat so that not all libraries
> have to be transferred every time?

You could place your dependencies in the Tomcat lib folder and use the
provided scope.

 > Possibly using other tools?

An embedded container would be faster. The tomcat-maven-plugin and
maven-jetty-plugin have both a run goal, which doesn't need any packaging.

Best regards,
  Markus

Re: Decrease War size, to Decrease Deploy time

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
You could use rsync to copy the war

Also don't explode the war, much faster deployment

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer