Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/05/04 07:29:01 UTC

Re: DRLVM contribution - try this out!

On 3 May 2006 at 18:21, "Elford, Chris L" <ch...@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Since I shared initial experiences with this package, I thought I
> should do the same on Linux.  I have not experienced as much luck there
> yet.
>
> A few notes:
>
> 1) If you are behind a proxy, make sure to follow the instructions
> regarding setting up the svn proxy [~/.subversion/servers].  The proxy
> parameters to build.sh are not passed on to svn.
>
> 2) Don't try to use gcj as the JAVA_HOME for initial compilation.  I
> tried this first but it looks for a tools.jar that gcj doesn't have. =20
>
> 3) I did not experience much success on Fedora Core 5.  I believe it is
> a compiler issue w/ C++ compatibility [FC5 ships with gcc 4.1.0-3].
> The errors that I get on Fedora core 5 are:
>
>        [cc]
> /usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> c/include/log4cxx/xml/domconfigurator.h:243: error: extra qualification
> 'log4cxx::xml::DOMConfigurator::' on member 'subst'
>        [cc]
> /usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> c/include/log4cxx/helpers/unicodehelper.h:98: error: extra qualification
> 'log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::' on member 'lengthUTF8'
>        [cc]
> /usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> c/include/log4cxx/helpers/unicodehelper.h:98: error: extra qualification
> 'log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::' on member 'lengthUTF8'
>        [cc]
> /usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> c/include/log4cxx/xml/domconfigurator.h:243: error: extra qualification
> 'log4cxx::xml::DOMConfigurator::' on member 'subst'
>        [cc]
> /usr/local/src/Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release/semis/extra/log4cxx/sr
> c/include/log4cxx/helpers/unicodehelper.h:98: error: extra qualification
> 'log4cxx::helpers::UnicodeHelper::' on member 'lengthUTF8'
>
> 4) I switched back to a Fedora Core 4 system in the hopes that this
> would resolve the compiler issue.  Fedora Core 4 comes with gcc
> 4.0.0-8.  That doesn't see the errors above but has numerous warnings
> then errors out with some C++ template prototype mismatches.  I can
> send a log with the warnings/errors if desired.
>
> The readme indicates that gcc is supported [CXX=gcc].
>
> Is there a specific version of gcc required to get this to compile on
> Fedora Core 4 or Fedora Core 5?

In case this helps anyone else on Linux, I had a few problems:

1) missing bfd.h

Fixed by installing binutils-dev on Debian.

2) Missing ext/stl_hash_fun.h

I was using gcc/g++/libstdc++ 4.0.3 and this header file is called
ext/hash_fun.h on this version.  I figure from this that it was intended
to be built using an older 3.x version where the header has the required
name.

Using gcc 3.3.6, I'm stuck building native of vm.jitrino with link
errors:

build.native.link:
       [cc] 0 total files to be compiled.
       [cc] Starting link
       [cc] `.L3696' referenced in section `.rodata' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o: defined in discarded section `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7Jitrino16JavaLabelPrepass11getJavaTypeEPNS_4TypeE' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o
       [cc] `.L3681' referenced in section `.rodata' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o: defined in discarded section `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7Jitrino16JavaLabelPrepass11getJavaTypeEPNS_4TypeE' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o
       [cc] `.L3695' referenced in section `.rodata' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o: defined in discarded section `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7Jitrino16JavaLabelPrepass11getJavaTypeEPNS_4TypeE' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o
       [cc] `.L3682' referenced in section `.rodata' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o: defined in discarded section `.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN7Jitrino16JavaLabelPrepass11getJavaTypeEPNS_4TypeE' of ../_obj/JavaLabelPrepass.o

I decided it was time to get sleep at that point.  I will resume
investigating this later.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: DRLVM contribution - try this out!

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 01:36:11PM +0700, Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> I understand how it works when the patches are integrated to the repository
> on regular base. After this all customers can create new patches and etc.
> etc. etc.
> Here I see no any issues. There are a lot of GUI tools allowing to merge the
> changes.
> The number of patches is a constant approximately.
>
> I don't understand how it should [or will] work when any of contributions
> exists long time
> in the form of zip file. New bugs appear. As a result new patches will be
> created.
> The corresponding JIRA issues are linked to the original contribution. And
> etc. etc.
> It will be continued until all sources are integrated to the repository. I
> don't think
> the customers will be very happy to re-read each time the JIRA description
> to understand
> how to get the recent version of product.

"Customers" should not get sources or patches out of jira. While apache doesn't
have customers as such (since we give everything away for free), what will
happen with harmony as the project matures is that we'll be pushing out source
releases and binary releases, both "snapshots" and "stable" releases, which is
the primary means for *users* to get hold of our "products". Harmony is
essentially sort-of in "stealth mode" right now, which is why those kinds of
things are not yet in place, and neither are facilities such as mailing list for
users or end-user-targetted documentation on how to install it. We don't actually
want that many "regular" users (eg the people just looking for a jdk to use),
since we wouldn't be able to support them, but that will change as this neat
little (heh. Not so little anymore already :-)) project matures.

Hope that clarifies a little!

cheers,

Leo

Re: DRLVM contribution - try this out!

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Leo,

thank you very much for all details and very valuable links!
Yes, I'm aware about the existence the technologies mentioned by you.

Actually I meant a little bit other thing.

[...]

Maybe the latest situation is hypothetical I don't know. Probably I was
wrong when I started this discussion.
In any case thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Vladimir.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi Vladimir!

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
Certainly all I'll say is obvious but ...
Suppose the patches A & B should change same lines of sources code to fix
the different bugs.
They cannot be accepted independently. Other example when the B patch is
created after as A was accepted.
In this case we should describe the exact order these patches should will be
accepted in (a good example is JIRA-443).
I  had in mind these things speaking about the advisability to have one
patch for the user convenience.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:24:12AM +0100, Tim Ellison wrote:
> +1 to Geir's comments below (i.e. that's my preference too)

wiki-fy it! :-)

LSD

Re: DRLVM contribution - try this out!

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
In my opinion the presence a lot of patches for same contribution (until it
will be put to SVN) is not good idea.

It's very conveniently to have one patch if its size is not too big.
Otherwise we will have the issues with the maintenance.

Now we try to fix the build problems (using different versions of GCC
compiler). Tomorrow we will (possible) have to fix

new bugs. All these changes should be integrated to one patch. Then each of
us should not forget to accept this patch

not to once more step on rake figuratively speaking. My question is the
following. Whether is it possible to have

the temporary SVN branch where we could accept our patches?

Thanks,

Vladimir.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I linked 443 to the original DRL contrib JIRA.

geir

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
   We should probably hold off on patching right now?
   The submission compiles and runs fine with XP V2, msvc VC7 and with SUSE
9.2 and GCC 3.3.4.
   We should pick the Linux/GCC version that we  run Harmony builds
regularly on and make all the changes in one shot to fix the compile on
that. Has this version already been identified?

Thanks,
Rana Dasgupta

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.
Great! Good progress.

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com>.
> Using gcc 3.3.6, I'm stuck building native of vm.jitrino with link
> errors:

I can suggest that link errors may be result of previous compilation
with GCC 4.0 and then subsequent attempt to link with GCC 3.3.6.
You may do the "build clean" first if you are changing the things like
compiler, or, manually delete the directory
Harmony/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_release before rebuilding.

We didn't check that this can be built on a whole variety of existing
Linux distributions and different GCC versions, this would be a huge
task that only Harmony can afford to do :)

One of the configurations that worked fine was:
SuSE Linux 9.2 (i586)
kernel release: 2.6.8-24-smp
gcc (GCC) 3.3.4 (pre 3.3.5 20040809)

Thanks,
Andrey.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

thank you very much for this valuable information. Indeed we used the gcc of
3.X version to build DRLVM.

It's not clear a cause why this header file (stl_hash_fun.h) has been
renamed for the recent gcc versions.

It seems the DRLVM sources should be correspondingly tuned to avoid the
problem detected by you.

Thanks,

Vladimir.