Posted to user@struts.apache.org by St...@swisscom.com on 2002/10/25 13:33:53 UTC

Internationalization - user setting the language manually?

Hi there!

I find the internationalisation feature of struts real nice, but there
is something that is bothering me. What if a browser doesn't have a
language setting, or if the user wants to change to a particular
language just for this one application? On most web-sites the user is
able to set the language himself (clicking on a flag or something), and
I was wondering if this is something that can be/is integrated in
struts? (setting an additional request parameter or something)

Regards,

Stef.

Re: Internationalization - user setting the language manually?

Posted by Tumi Mathibedi <tm...@csir.co.za>.
hi Stefan,

if (request.getLocale() == null) {
 yada yada yada...
}
In short what I am saying is that u can have a logic to help solve the
browserNotSetLocale to do what you want.

Posted by Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>.
2002. október 25. 13:33 dátummal Stefan.Landro@swisscom.com ezt írtad:
> Hi there!
>
> I find the internationalisation feature of struts real nice, but there
> is something that is bothering me. What if a browser doesn't have a
> language setting, or if the user wants to change to a particular
> language just for this one application? On most web-sites the user is
> able to set the language himself (clicking on a flag or something), and
> I was wondering if this is something that can be/is integrated in
> struts? (setting an additional request parameter or something)

session.setAttribute(org.apache.struts.action.Action.LOCALE_KEY,newLocale);

Hth,

Tib

RE: Internationalization - user setting the language manually?

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.

The Struts framework checks for messages in this order:
1. The actual locale  (e.g. en_US)
2. Subsets of #1 (e.g. en)
3. Server's default local (your servers locale as define by OS)
4. The default local (default being '' <- that's an empty string)

> or if the user wants to change to a particular
> language just for this one application? On most web-sites the user is
> able to set the language himself (clicking on a flag or something), and
> I was wondering if this is something that can be/is integrated in
> struts? (setting an additional request parameter or something)

see post by Gemes Tibor (same thread)

> Regards,
>
> Stef.

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)