Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2020/04/16 11:55:04 UTC

Re: WM_CLASS property is set to java-lang-Thread Nebeans 11.2

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 19:16, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks.  Just had a bit of time to dig into this.  I can replicate
> your issue with the duplicate launcher icon appearing, as of 11.2 -
> earlier versions are fine.  I can't replicate the WM_CLASS of the IDE
> window being wrong, but it seems the splash now has a WM_CLASS of
> java.lang.Thread - is that what you ran xprop on?  Earlier versions
> don't seem to have any WM_CLASS on the splash as far as I can tell.
> Changing the desktop file to run NetBeans with --nosplash seems to fix
> the duplicate icon issue.  Not sure what changed to cause this - I
> thought the splash screen changes went into 11.1?!

Quick follow up.  I was hoping to put together a simple fix for this
for 12.0, but looks likely more complicated to achieve than I hoped -
need to move/copy code from
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/platform/core.windows/src/org/netbeans/core/windows/view/ui/MainWindow.java#L123
to https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/platform/core.startup/src/org/netbeans/core/startup/Splash.java
since Eirik's changes, which is easy enough, but the correct value is
not available there.  Workaroundable, but possibly intrusive change
now.

Another workaround appears to be to make sure the .desktop file
matches the name of the window - eg. apache-netbeans-ide-11.3.desktop
appears to stop the duplication.  We might want to do that with the
installer too.

Not sure why this doesn't affect the Snap - different launching logic I guess.

Best wishes,

Neil