Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by michael shek sia lim <mi...@eigentechnology.com> on 2002/11/15 11:49:49 UTC

Problems in starting Slide

I have downloaded two versions of Slide:

1. source code slide: jakarta-slide-1.0.16
2. binary slide: jakarta-slide-1.0.16

I compile the source code with ant successfully, but it does not seem to
have a start/stop script for tomcat. And I did not seem to have seen any
instructions showing me how to intergrate the two.

I then use the binary slide. After untar the tar file, and start catalina
at $SLIDE_HOME/server/bin/startup.sh

[root@linux bin]# ./startup.sh
Using CLASSPATH:
/usr/local/jakarta-slide-1.0.16/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1_01/lib/tools.jar
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-slide-1.0.16
[root@linux bin]#

I got the following error message in the log file.

Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap

The bootstrap.jar file is obviously in place, I can't see what the error
is about, would appreciate if anyone can help.

cheers
michael

Re: The Dead Properties in Webdav

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hello Sean,

you could proppatch dead properties via WebDAV client methods.
Then you don't need to worry about versioning, it'll be done
automatically if DeltaV (in Slide2) is configured properly.

Another possibility would be to set a property in the
NodeRevisionDescriptor.

There are messages in the archive, around Mon, 21 Oct 2002.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Problems in starting Slide

Posted by michael shek sia lim <mi...@eigentechnology.com>.
I have done some tests, I am pretty sure that the reason that I cannot
start my binary version of Slide is caused by some rearrangement of the
directories in Slide_1.0.16. This rearrangement cause the classpath and
some conf file being relocated and hence the start script cannot find
them. There is apparantly no documentation as to how this arrangement is
done, any help from someone who has successfully depolyed Slide on a linux
machine using Slide_1.0.16 would be appreciated.

cheers
michael

Posted by Rahul <ra...@excibir.co.nz>.
Hi Michael,

1. Drop the slide.war in %TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps dir. The war expands when
Tomcat starts up.
2. To check whether Slide is running or not ;
        a. On any Win2K PC, go to "My Network Places" and open "Add Network
Place"
        b. on  being prompt for network location , type
"http://<your_tomcat_server_name>:<port>/file"        <<= this is for
default installation
        c. Click finish and you should see a Web Folder appear in the
Network Places window.

Play around with Domain.xml configuration to see how you can make folders
writable, read only etc.
Also please have a look at the following site :
http://faq.globalvision.com.au/fom-serve/cache/1.html

Hope this gets you running !!

Cheers, :-)

Rahul

Posted by michael shek sia lim <mi...@eigentechnology.com>.
Thanks Andreas,

best wishes
michael

Re: Just some questions ...

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Michael,

Re: Just some questions ...

Posted by michael shek sia lim <mi...@eigentechnology.com>.
Thanks Rahul,

Slide on Linux

Posted by michael shek sia lim <mi...@eigentechnology.com>.
Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I am the only Linux Slide user on this mailing list or
the Linux users are not as responsive as those on other mailing lists...

I kind of figure out how Slide works (server & client) on a Linux system -
from a beginners point of view. Not sure if there are other Linux Slide
beginners who are interested in the procedure, will post a schematic
procedure if there are interested parties.

cheers
michael

Re: Just some questions ...

Posted by Rahul <ra...@excibir.co.nz>.
Hi Michael,

1. On Linux, you can use the slide client that comes with the Slide binary.
2. You don't need to comment out any line in web.xml to use domain.xml as
this is the default (that is my understanding).
    But in case you need to specify a different xml for specifying a domain,
you can create a file slide.properties (a sample is packaged in
slide-kernel.jar),
   override properties you need to and put the properties file on classpath.
the WebDAVServlet should pick that up.
3. as reg. documentation - I am looking for some concise reference myself :p

Cheers :-)

Rahul

Thanks Rahul,

I think I have got it running, but I am not too sure. I can get access to a
page:

http://ns1.eigentechnology.net:8080/slide/

I can login etc. But how do I get a Win2K equivalent Client on Linux?
There are too many conf files and there is no one document describing how
they are related, e.g. which line should I comment out in web.xml in order
to use Domain.xml ?

Would appreciate if you can point me to a document where systematic
descriptions could be located.

cheers
michael

Re: Problems in starting Slide

Posted by Rahul <ra...@excibir.co.nz>.
Just to add to my earlier email :

Win2K(I am using this OS) has a Web DAV client that you can use to test if
the WebDAVServlet on Tomcat is running and accepting Web DAV requests.

You can also use Slide client to test the same from command prompt. The
WebDAVServlet is packaged in "slide-webdavservlet.jar".

Cheers :-)

Rahul

Posted by michael shek sia lim <mi...@eigentechnology.com>.
Dear all,