Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Michael Böckling <mi...@giniality.com> on 2005/12/22 14:59:44 UTC

Dependency version inheritance

Hi folks,

I'd like to know if it is possible - as a POM - to inherit my own version.
Let's say I have a parent POM with some entries in the
dependencyManagement section. This section also contains the default
versions of all my child-POMs, because there are inter-dependencies that
I want to define in a central place (its not a multi-module build, its
more a "package" of projects that I want to bundle using this parent POM).
Now, when I release a new version of a child-project, I have to change
the version information in the POM of the child as well as the in the
dependencyManagement section of my parent POM. Is there a way to
simplify this?
Also, after the parent POM has changed, I naturally have to change its
version number and then do the same in the child-projects to pick up the
new version. In Maven1, this could be solved using a properties file in
the parent poject that would define the various versions in one single
place, but in M2 I can't think of a solution...

Thanks for any input,
    Michael

--
Giniality AG - Michael Böckling; Steinenberg 21, CH-4051 Basel
P: +41 61 226 99 63 - F: +41 61 226 99 69

Re: Dependency version inheritance

Posted by Michael Böckling <mi...@giniality.com>.
Ok, forget this. Just realized that the M2 POM features also a
properties-section, so my problem can be solved.... °-°
And as for the parent-pom issues, I think that can't be solved except
using the Snapshot mechanism.