Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> on 2003/02/07 00:29:52 UTC

[EL] instanceof

In JSTL Spec 1.0, section A.4, the keyword "instanceof" seems to be reserved
for future use.  Would the commons-el group consider implementing instanceof
as a BinaryOperator.  I was fooling around with my working copy, and it
looks as if it is as easy as adding a new error message, a new operator
class and making a small modification to ELParser.jj.

Is this something [el] would be interested in pursuing.

--------
Tim O'Brien

RE: [EL] instanceof

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, O'brien, Tim wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:27:26 -0600
> From: "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net>
> To: 'Jakarta Commons Developers List' <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [EL] instanceof
>
> > I meant to reply to this on Taglibs earlier.
> >
> > I imagine EL will not be able to implement it until it is in
> > the JSP 2.0 specification as, as far as I know, commons-el is
> > the EL component of the JSP 2.0 spec.
> >
> > But I could be utterly wrong :)
>
> I think you are right, I'm just curious.
>
> I understand that it is dependent on a JCP developed spec, was just
> wondering if ASF could (or even wanted to) provide functionality outside of
> the specification - EL is a part of the JSTL spec - JSR-052 and a port of
> the JSR-152.
>
> Seems like the commons at ASF is full of packages that frequently extend the
> functionality of the existing frameworks - beanutils and collections.  I'm
> just curious as to the direction of commons-el.  If JSR-152 Section JSP.2.4
> tells developers not to use "instanceof", it seems like it would be harmless
> to implement this as a BinaryOperator

The charter of the commons-el package was *specifically* to implement the
spec requirements (so that we can use it in Tomcat and JSTL).  That's a
different kind of charter than some of the other packages.

One thing you might investigate is seeing if "instanceof" support could
get added into JEXL, which effectively has a charter to be a superset of
the standard EL implementation.

> --------
> Tim O'Brien

Craig

RE: [EL] instanceof

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, O'brien, Tim wrote:

> > I imagine EL will not be able to implement it until it is in
> > the JSP 2.0 specification as, as far as I know, commons-el is
> > the EL component of the JSP 2.0 spec.
> >
> > But I could be utterly wrong :)
>
> I understand that it is dependent on a JCP developed spec, was just
> wondering if ASF could (or even wanted to) provide functionality outside of
> the specification - EL is a part of the JSTL spec - JSR-052 and a port of
> the JSR-152.
>
> Seems like the commons at ASF is full of packages that frequently extend the
> functionality of the existing frameworks - beanutils and collections.  I'm
> just curious as to the direction of commons-el.  If JSR-152 Section JSP.2.4
> tells developers not to use "instanceof", it seems like it would be harmless
> to implement this as a BinaryOperator

Worth asking, possibly to the Tomcat-dev list. The difference between
collections/beanutils and commons-el is that commons-el is the Reference
Implementation, and I think the view is that it should do no more and no
less than the specification itself.

Hen

RE: [EL] instanceof

Posted by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net>.