Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Iliffe <jo...@iliffe.ca> on 2010/05/14 19:16:27 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse Proxy Configuration

I am attempting to connect the HTTP port of our mail server through
Apache so that Inet users can connect by browser to get their mail.

If I give the full path to the mail server login screen in the config
file:

 ProxyPass /mail http://192.168.1.12:8080/email

the browser hangs and I get the following log entry:

 file does not exist: [document root]/email referer .....

which is logical because the mail server on port 8080 does not share the
Apache document structure.

If I drop the path info, everything seems to work OK except that the
entry point to the email server provides options that I don't want to
offer the users.  (Like account administration!)

My full config entry that I am trying to use is:

ProxyRequests off
ProxyPass /mail/* !
ProxyPass /mail http://192.168.1.12:8080/email
ProxyPassReverse /mail http://192.168.1.12:8080/email

and I put this inside the VirtualHost container for the web site.

I think I have not interpreted the documentation properly but I don't
see where.

Regards,

John