Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Nils Kaiser <Ni...@gmx.de> on 2006/05/29 18:35:29 UTC

Changing log level at runtime

Hello,

we are running a cocoon 2.1.8 application on Tomcat 5.5.15. We need a
way to change the log level configuration on developer, staging and
production systems. Before starting from scratch, I wanted to ask the
members of this list what solutions they use to solve this problem?

I guess possible ways are using a servlet (kind of admin interface) or
JMX? Any other ideas?  Or maybe there is a cocoon solution I don't know of?

I tried to use logweb [1] which looks promising but it did not work for
me. It shows only tomcat loggers. I guess maybe it is a classloader issue.

Greetings,

Nils

[1] http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/index.html

Re: Changing log level at runtime

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The solution that Cocoon provides is that it uses the Avalon logger
interface. You can then provide any logging framework you want by
providing an implementation of that interface that hooks into your
desired logging framework. Cocoon provides implementations for a couple
of frameworks.

We use a homegrown logging framework that allows modification of its
configuration during runtime. I'm not aware of others that allow this,
but if you find one it shouldn't be hard to hook it in.

HTH,
Ralph