Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/20 07:18:31 UTC

Signing an affidavit for a contribution

Hi Apache Legal Discussion List,

My name is Zheng Shao. I am a committer and PMC member of Apache Hive
project.

I'd like to get advice on whether I can sign an affidavit for a contribution
of a piece of code.

The code is in this JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-352 and
called RCFile.  It was contributed by Yongqiang He and I committed the code
on May 1, 2009.

Yongqiang He was a student at *Institute of Computing Technology at Chinese
Academy of Science* at that time.  He later becomes a committer and later
PMC member of Apache Hive project.  Apache already has his ICLA on file.

The affidavit that I want to sign is here:
http://people.apache.org/~zshao/Certification_on_Adoption_of_RCFile_Technology.doc

The affidavit mainly says that "*The RCFile technology invented by Institute
of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences was contributed Apache
Hive project with Apache License on 5/1/2009 [Reference:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-352].* "

Because the affidavit states that Yongqiang He's institute (*Institute of
Computing Technology at Chinese Academy of Science) *is the inventor, I have
asked them to sign a CCLA:
http://people.apache.org/~zshao/CCLA_for_RCFile_signed.pdf

Please note that since Apache already have Yongqiang He's ICLA on file, the
CCLA is just for extra protection.

My question is that is it OK for me to sign the affidavit?  If not, what
else do I need?

Thanks,
Zheng