Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Dennis Henry <kr...@sdf.lonestar.org> on 2000/10/07 20:52:17 UTC

untrusted server cert chain

Hello Fellas,

I found secure soap on the web and I think it's great.
I try do deploy the addressbook sample, but this error message comes :

Exception in thread "main" [SOAPException: faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client; msg=error creating Output Data Stream for URL Connection: untrusted server cert chain; targetException=java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: error creating Output Data Stream for URL Connection: untrusted server cert chain]
        at org.apache.soap.transport.http.SOAPHTTPConnection.send(SOAPHTTPConnection.java:115)
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:151)
        at org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.invokeMethod(ServiceManagerClient.java:113)
        at org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.deploy(ServiceManagerClient.java:126)
        at org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient.main(ServiceManagerClient.java:198)

Which file I have to edit so that the server cert chain can be trusted ???
I'll be very grateful if anyone in soap-dev help me.

Thanks a bunch,

Henry

Re: untrusted server cert chain

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Managing the Certificate Chain is done via a Java Utility. Please visit Sun's Java site or read the book: 'Java Cryptography' by Knudsen (from O'Reilly) ISBN 1-566592-402-9. There is a good chapter in there. That is what I did. IMHO all this Certificate stuff is rather complex in Java and/or
Apache. We should be able to automate it better. Any ideas? We could make some eventual suggestions to Sun. Probably the Java Soap User Community is  going to be the heaviest user  of  Java2's  SSL, PKI Signature Generation and Certificate Management capabilities.  What do you think? Without
full security SOAP is more then useless when used over the open Internet. Now we will also have to make this security stuff interoperate with the 'other'  (NOT Java) implementations. May be in the next life, after SecureSoap is part of Apache Soap2_0.
Regards - George

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.