Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/26 01:18:43 UTC

Checkstyle settings don't appear to work

It does not look like the checkstyle settings in the parent pom are working.

As far as I can tell, checkstyle defaults to using the default configuration.

I think that is because the checkstyle config is under
<build><pluginManagement> rather than <reporting>, where it belongs
according to

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/usage.html

It may be necessary to duplicate the config under <build> for
command-line use with Maven 3, but it definitely needs to be under
<reporting> for both M2 and M3.

Re: Checkstyle settings don't appear to work

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 10:43 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 26 July 2013 00:18, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It does not look like the checkstyle settings in the parent pom are working.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, checkstyle defaults to using the default configuration.
> >
> > I think that is because the checkstyle config is under
> > <build><pluginManagement> rather than <reporting>, where it belongs
> > according to
> >
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/usage.html
> >
> > It may be necessary to duplicate the config under <build> for
> > command-line use with Maven 3, but it definitely needs to be under
> > <reporting> for both M2 and M3.
>
> I've since discovered that checkstyle does run as part of the validate phase.
> However, this only works on trunk.
> The 4.2.x branch reports:
>
> $ mvn validate
> No goals needed for project - skipping

Style checks are enforced in trunk (4.3) only. 4.2 is about to go
inactive.

Oleg

Re: Checkstyle settings don't appear to work

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26 July 2013 00:18, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It does not look like the checkstyle settings in the parent pom are working.
>
> As far as I can tell, checkstyle defaults to using the default configuration.
>
> I think that is because the checkstyle config is under
> <build><pluginManagement> rather than <reporting>, where it belongs
> according to
>
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-checkstyle-plugin/usage.html
>
> It may be necessary to duplicate the config under <build> for
> command-line use with Maven 3, but it definitely needs to be under
> <reporting> for both M2 and M3.

I've since discovered that checkstyle does run as part of the validate phase.
However, this only works on trunk.
The 4.2.x branch reports:

$ mvn validate
No goals needed for project - skipping