Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Raymond Zhou <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/22 02:18:35 UTC

axis2/c depending on openSSL

Hi All,
�
I noticed that if I compile (in wondows) axis2/c with ssl-support enabled, the openSSL dlls (ssleay23.dll and libssl32.dll) have to be in class path in order for a web�service�client call to be executed properly, enen�if the call is not using https/SSL. If the dlls are not in the path, I will�get a error something like engine not loaded. IS THERE a way to compile the axis2/c differently so that�the openSSL dlls are only needed when the ws client call uses https/SSL?�
�
Thanks!
Frank�

Re: axis2/c depending on openSSL

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond,

This may work, but I'm not sure. But it is worth trying. Try to build two
axis2_http_sender libraries. One with OpenSSL and other without OpenSSL.
Then in the axis2.xml add two tranpsort senders. You should have different
names for the axis2_http_sender library in both cases. i.e axis2_http_sender
and axis2_ssl_http_sender.

    <transportSender name="http" class="axis2_http_sender">
        <parameter name="PROTOCOL" locked="false">HTTP/1.1</parameter>
        <parameter name="xml-declaration" insert="false"/>
        <!--parameter name="Transfer-Encoding">chunked</parameter-->
        <!--parameter name="HTTP-Authentication" username="" password=""
locked="true"/-->
        <!--parameter name="PROXY" proxy_host="127.0.0.1" proxy_port="8080"
proxy_username="" proxy_password="" locked="true"/-->
    </transportSender>

    <!-- Uncomment the following with appropriate parameters to enable the
SSL transport sender.
         Also make sure that the appropriate transport receiver is enabled
above.-->
    <transportSender name="https" class="axis2_ssl_http_sender">
        <parameter name="PROTOCOL" locked="false">HTTP/1.1</parameter>
        <parameter name="xml-declaration" insert="false"/>
    </transportSender>
    <parameter name="SERVER_CERT">/path/to/ca/certificate</parameter>
    <parameter
name="KEY_FILE">/path/to/client/certificate/chain/file</parameter>
    <parameter name="SSL_PASSPHRASE">passphrase</parameter>

Thanks,
Supun..

--
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc

Re: axis2/c depending on openSSL

Posted by Raymond Zhou <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Supun,

That means that I have to compile the axis2/c twice, one enabling SSL and another disabling it, and put two sets of axis2/c dlls in my application, that seems to me  is
a bit awkward. Why can't we do dynamic loading openSSL dlls?

Thanks much!

From: Dumindu Pallewela <pa...@gmail.com>

To: "Apache AXIS C Developers List" <ax...@ws.apache.org>, raywang999@yahoo.com
Date: Friday, August 22, 2008, 10:29 PM

Hi Frank,

>From my experience with apache, it tries to make sure that all the symbols can be resolved at load time. Thus I believe that there is no easy way out for you. But please don't take my word for it as I've never tried doing what you want; not at all on windows.

Regards,
Dumindu.

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Raymond Zhou <ra...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Samisa,

If I don't ship the openSSL dlls but compile axis2/c with ssl enabled, then users have to manually download and add the dlls to their class path in order to use the web service client feature in my product, even if they do not need SSL at all, that would be inconvenient for them. My goal is to have one axis2/c package in my product to support web service client call without including the openSSL dlls and only those customers of mine that needs SSL will have to add the openSSL dlls to the classpath by themselves (without me having to re-compile the axis2/c for them). Is there a easy solution for this?

Thanks!
Frank

From: Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>
To: "Apache AXIS C Developers List" <ax...@ws.apache.org>
Date: Friday, August 22, 2008, 6:31 PM

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

--
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc

Re: axis2/c depending on openSSL

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond,

How about having two axis2.xml files in your distribution. One containing
the SSL configuration and the other containing the normal sender. When a
client wants to use Axis2/C with SSL they should give the client home as the
one with the SSL config axis2.xml.

Supun..

--
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc