Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2015/04/23 01:50:06 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.7.0 Release

Hi all,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Apache Hadoop community has
voted to release Apache Hadoop 2.7.0.

Hadoop 2.7.0 is the first major release for the year 2015 in the Hadoop-2.x
line, and brings a number of enhancements.

IMPORTANT NOTES

   - This release *drops* support for JDK6 runtime and works with JDK 7+
   *only*.
   - This release is *not* yet ready for production use. Critical issues
   are being ironed out via testing and downstream adoption. Production users
   should wait for a 2.7.1/2.7.2 release.

The release has 535 resolved issues with the following breakdown

   - 160 in Hadoop Common
   - 192 in HDFS
   - 148 in YARN
   - 35 MapReduce

Apache Hadoop 2.7.0 contains a number of significant enhancements. A few of
them are noted below.

Hadoop Common

   - HADOOP-9629 - Support Windows Azure Storage - Blob as a file system in
   Hadoop.

Hadoop HDFS

   - HDFS-3107 - Support for file truncate
   - HDFS-7584 - Support for quotas per storage type
   - HDFS-3689 - Support for files with variable-length blocks

Hadoop YARN

   - YARN-3100 - Make YARN authorization pluggable
   - YARN-1492 - Automatic shared, global caching of YARN localized
   resources (beta)

Hadoop MapReduce

   - MAPREDUCE-5583 - Ability to limit running Map/Reduce tasks of a job
   - MAPREDUCE-4815 - Speed up FileOutputCommitter for very large jobs with
   many output files.

 Please see the Hadoop 2.7.0 Release Notes
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/releasenotes.html>
for detailed list of issues resolved.  The release news is posted on the
Hadoop website too, you can go to the downloads section directly (
http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#Download)

Thanks to all those who contributed to the release!

+Vinod

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.7.0 Release

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
No, I did use JIRA filters. But got some very weird results - likely because I was editing my blockers-only search filter and forgot to unselect some conditions.

+Vinod

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Marco Zühlke pinged me offline informing me that I completely got my issue-count wrong.

Seems like I had a very bizarre filter, I missed closing some tickets too at release time.

IAC, the following is the right breakdown.

The release has 923 resolved issues with the following breakdown (JIRA Filter: project in (YARN, HDFS, HADOOP, MAPREDUCE) AND resolution = Fixed AND fixVersion = 2.7.0)

259 in Hadoop Common
350 in HDFS
253 in YARN
  61 in MapReduce

Thanks Marco! And apologies everyone for my slip up.

+Vinod