Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Hong Jeon <hj...@cornell.edu> on 2015/07/23 18:07:53 UTC

MetricsConsumer Liability

If the whole topology crashes when MetricsConsumer crashes, does this not
make using MetricsConsumer to log metrics a liability? Are there safer
alternatives? What do people think of this?

Re: MetricsConsumer Liability

Posted by John Reilly <jr...@inconspicuous.org>.
There are many options for collecting application metrics, but you will
need to use a MetricsConsumer if you are interested in getting at the storm
internal metrics, or metrics of spouts or bolts that use the storm metrics
system (e.g. KafkaSpout).  I use both a storm metrics and another system
(twitter ostrich based) - I tend to prefer using ostrich if possible, but
it's not because of reliability.  Ultimately the metrics from both end up
in the same place.

If any component crashes (including a MetricsConsumer), it should be
bringing down the worker on which it is running, not the whole topology.