Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@spikesource.com> on 2005/04/01 11:59:01 UTC

maven repo

I read through the discussion about the need for a maven repository
containing all the dependency jar files. I totally agree with that fact.
In addition, I have a suggestion.
Most likely users are going to be building from the latest code (tip of
the trunk) or a milestone release (tip of a tag/branch). I am,
obviously, assuming that the number of users needing to build from a
particular revision in the past (and that revision being a non-milestone
revision) is pretty small.
So with that in mind, in addition to the central maven repository, each
milestone revision can also zip up the maven repository that is needed
by the release -- downlaodable separately or as part of the geronimo
binary. If the build is done on a clean box (with nothing in
~/.maven/repositroy before the start of the build), then this repository
is simply an archive of ~/.maven/repository directory. That way if there
are any jar files that change overtime (like the SNAPSHOT jar files),
they are archived. A user wanting to build a milestone source can just
unzip the maven repository archive into his/her .maven/repository and
then just do an offline build. The user who is building from the latest
code just relies on whatever is the latest in the central maven repository.
It does add a bit of redundancy, but I just wanted to throw the idea out
there to see if its practical/viable.

Regards,
-Hari

Re: maven repo

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:59 AM, Hari Kodungallur wrote:

> I read through the discussion about the need for a maven repository
> containing all the dependency jar files. I totally agree with that
> fact. In addition, I have a suggestion.
> Most likely users are going to be building from the latest code (tip
> of the trunk) or a milestone release (tip of a tag/branch). I am,
> obviously, assuming that the number of users needing to build from a
> particular revision in the past (and that revision being a
> non-milestone revision) is pretty small.

I'm hoping that most likely users are going to be using our releases,
and not building anything.  How many people build tomcat, maven,
hibernate, etc?

> So with that in mind, in addition to the central maven repository,
> each milestone revision can also zip up the maven repository that is
> needed by the release -- downlaodable separately or as part of the
> geronimo binary. If the build is done on a clean box (with nothing in
> ~/.maven/repositroy before the start of the build), then this
> repository is simply an archive of ~/.maven/repository directory. That
> way if there are any jar files that change overtime (like the SNAPSHOT
> jar files), they are archived. A user wanting to build a milestone
> source can just unzip the maven repository archive into his/her
> .maven/repository and then just do an offline build. The user who is
> building from the latest code just relies on whatever is the latest in
> the central maven repository.
> It does add a bit of redundancy, but I just wanted to throw the idea
> out there to see if its practical/viable.

I think the phrase would be "needed to *build* the release", as our
milestones [aside : I think these will stop - we treated milestone as
just a formal unsupported "code-drop event", and it's time we start
doing something more regular and usable...] and releases should have
all dependencies needed to run included in the distribution.

I hoping above all that this period of large change distributed across
Geronimo and dependencies will come to an end, and we can start
treating OpenEJB and Axis like external dependencies with their own
independent lifecycle, so we can just use stable release artifacts
published by those projects.  I do suspect though that it really isn't
going to happen until we modularize a bit so that Axis and OpenEJB are
just plug-in providers of functionality needed by Geronimo, and we're a
long way from that as that hasn't been the focus or a requirement for
our near-term goal of certification.

geir

geirm@apache.org