Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by JónJósef Bjarnason <jo...@it-cons.com> on 2007/08/20 19:42:03 UTC

Perl 5.8.8.

on http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/install.html
the following section can be found:

Perl 5 [OPTIONAL]
For some of the support scripts like apxs or dbmmanage (which are written
in Perl) the Perl 5 interpreter is required (versions 5.003 or newer are
sufficient). If you have multiple Perl interpreters (for example, a
systemwide install of Perl 4, and your own install of Perl 5), you are
advised to use the --with-perl option (see below) to make sure the
correct one is used by configure. If no Perl 5 interpreter is found by
the configure script, you will not be able to use the affected support
scripts. Of course, you will still be able to build and use Apache 2.0.

There is however no section below explaining the --with-perl option.
I am trying to upgrade perl 5.8.7 to 5.8.8 but apache always takes 5.8.7.
everywhere else my system uses perl 5.8.8

Does anyone know how --with-perl option works ?
or how to compile apache with perl 5.8.8 if this is not the correct way.

Thanks
Jon

Re: Perl 5.8.8.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On 8/20/07, JónJósef Bjarnason <jo...@it-cons.com> wrote:
> Apache's @INC

Apache doesn't have an @INC because Apache doesn't have perl.  It
looks like this is mod_perl's @INC.  Did you print this out from a
script or module running through mod_perl?

To change which perl mod_perl is using, you just rebuild it with the
right one, as shown in previous mail.

- Perrin

Re: Perl 5.8.8.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On 8/20/07, JónJósef Bjarnason <jo...@it-cons.com> wrote:
> But it's not mod_perl I am conserned with, that seems to sitt nicely at
> 5.8.8.
> its Apache, it looks into the old lib directories ../perl/5.8.7 instead
> of ../perl5/5.8.8
> and I can't find where to change that in Apache.

Can you be more specific?  What exactly is the program you're trying
to run that is finding the wrong perl?

- Perrin

Re: Perl 5.8.8.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On 8/20/07, JónJósef Bjarnason <jo...@it-cons.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how --with-perl option works ?
> or how to compile apache with perl 5.8.8 if this is not the correct way.

The page you're looking at is not related to mod_perl.  It is for
configuring the command-line utilities that come with apache.  Those
are affected by the --with-perl option.  If you don't plan to use
them, you can totally ignore this.

To build mod_perl with a specific perl, just call the Makefile.PL with it:
/opt/my/special/perl Makefile.PL

- Perrin