Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> on 2003/06/03 14:32:22 UTC

Re: DoubleMetaphone Implementation

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 10:00, Benjamin Walstrum wrote:
> I needed to create an implementation in Java and was
> unable to find a bug-free implementation, so I created
> my own based from Lawrence Philips' original C++ code
> (available at
> ftp://ftp.cuj.com/pub/2000/1806/philips.zip).  Since
> there are no reference implementations or test suites,
> I have done my best to make sure that my implemenation
> complies with other implementations available for
> other languages.

Ben, thanks for the contribution.  We did have a DoubleMetaphone
implementation available before the 1.1 release, but it was removed from
the repository because of licensing questions relating to the fact that
the code submitted was ported from a CPAN module covered under the Perl
Artistic License.

In this case, the file Dmetaph.cpp is Copyright 1998, 1999 Lawrence
Philips, and there I can find no mention of what terms this code falls
under.  It may be wise to get the permission of the original author.
I'm interested in this as I found DoubleMetaphone to be a useful
algorithm.

Tim

Re: DoubleMetaphone Implementation

Posted by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net>.
On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 14:07, Benjamin Walstrum wrote:
> I have been in contact with Lawrence Philips who has
> assured me that his code is in the public domain, and
> is therefore completely available, eliminating any
> legal difficulties related to the DoubleMetaphone
> implementation.

I also wrote him a quick email, he gave me the same assurances.  Submit
you code to Bugzilla, and I'll make sure the patch is applied posthaste.

Tim

Posted by Benjamin Walstrum <be...@yahoo.com>.
Tim -