Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stephan Coboos <cr...@gmx.net> on 2004/05/27 20:42:54 UTC

Converting linebreak to
?

Hello,

I'am using a flowscript to retrieve text from a form's textarea. This
text may contain some linebreaks \n. Now I want display the content with
line breaks in a html view. So I need to convert \n to <br/>. For
displaying the content of the textarea I'am using a JXTemplate. How I
can I transform linebreaks \n into the element <br/>? If i replace all
\n with <br/> in the html output I will get only &lt;br/&gt;. So I have
to include the <br/> into the SAX pipeline, but how? Is there a easy way
to do so (without building a new rome;-)?

Thank you.

Regards
Stephan

Re: Converting linebreak to
?

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 27/mag/04, alle 20:42, Stephan Coboos ha scritto:

> I'am using a flowscript to retrieve text from a form's textarea. This
> text may contain some linebreaks \n. Now I want display the content
> with line breaks in a html view. So I need to convert \n to <br/>. For
> displaying the content of the textarea I'am using a JXTemplate. How I
> can I transform linebreaks \n into the element <br/>? If i replace all
> \n with <br/> in the html output I will get only &lt;br/&gt;. So I
> have to include the <br/> into the SAX pipeline, but how? Is there a
> easy way to do so (without building a new rome;-)?

   <!--+
       |  Replace newlines with <br>'s
       |  (Credits:  http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/break.html)
       +-->
         <xsl:template name="substitute">
            <xsl:param name="string" />
            <xsl:param name="from" select="'&#xA;'" />
            <xsl:param name="to">
            </xsl:param>
            <xsl:choose>
               <xsl:when test="contains($string, $from)">
                  <xsl:value-of select="substring-before($string,
$from)" />
                  <xsl:copy-of select="$to" />
                  <xsl:call-template name="substitute">
                     <xsl:with-param name="string"
                                     select="substring-after($string,
$from)" />
                     <xsl:with-param name="from" select="$from" />
                     <xsl:with-param name="to" select="$to" />
                  </xsl:call-template>
               </xsl:when>
               <xsl:otherwise>
                  <xsl:value-of select="$string" />
               </xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:choose>
         </xsl:template>

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: Converting linebreak to
?

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Stephan Coboos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'am using a flowscript to retrieve text from a form's textarea. This
> text may contain some linebreaks \n. Now I want display the content with
> line breaks in a html view. So I need to convert \n to <br/>. For
> displaying the content of the textarea I'am using a JXTemplate. How I
> can I transform linebreaks \n into the element <br/>? If i replace all
> \n with <br/> in the html output I will get only &lt;br/&gt;. So I have
> to include the <br/> into the SAX pipeline, but how? Is there a easy way
> to do so (without building a new rome;-)?

You could probably write a transformer to do it.

Tony

Re: Converting linebreak to
?

Posted by Suzan Foster <su...@nerocmediaware.nl>.
Stephan Coboos wrote:

>I'am using a flowscript to retrieve text from a form's textarea. This
>text may contain some linebreaks \n. Now I want display the content with
>line breaks in a html view. So I need to convert \n to <br/>. For
>displaying the content of the textarea I'am using a JXTemplate. How I
>can I transform linebreaks \n into the element <br/>? If i replace all
>\n with <br/> in the html output I will get only &lt;br/&gt;. So I have
>to include the <br/> into the SAX pipeline, but how? Is there a easy way
>to do so (without building a new rome;-)?

If the text contains no markup which needs to be rendered why not wrap
it  between pre tags? That would certainly save you from having to worry
about  newlines.

groetjes, su.