Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Adam Fowler <Ad...@ideagen.co.uk> on 2004/05/12 10:53:00 UTC

IMAP2 james dist issues...

Hello all,

I'm posting to server-user as its more of a "oh why wont it start!?!"
problem than a dev problem.

I'm using a CVS version of james from last night and it all builds lovely. I
followed the mailing list archive (fancy that! ;o) ) instructions for
building the IMAP2 proposal version. This built (with a few libs copied
around) and the unit-tests worked too. I then copied this distribution
(james-3.0a1-imap2) to /usr/local/james-3.0a1-imap2. Then I tried to run it
and got the following:

Phoenix 4.0.1

There was an uncaught exception:
--- Message ---
Unknown dependency named "connections" with role
"org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.ConnectionManager"
declared for Block remotemanager.
--- Stack Trace ---
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.DeploymentException: Unknown dependency
named "connections" with role
"org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.ConnectionManager"
declared for Block remotemanager.

...which was nice. ;o( The last line of logs/phoenix.log is simply:

INFO    2004-05-12 10:40:57.002 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the specified
Dependencies are valid according to BlockInfo.

I've tried commenting the offending line out (a tried and tested method ;o)
) but then it whines that there is no JamesConnectionManager role defined,
which is fair enough.

Now I've not used James before but the role looks like it should match a
Java class, yes? In my lib directory I only have avalon-framework.jar .
Which JAR do I need and where from if this is the case? If this isn't the
case, does anyone know how to fix it?

I'd love to help get IMAP working and eventually LDAP and Maildir, but I
can't start James! *sob*

As an aside, I installed the normal version of james using my CVS build
first and it required commenting out of fetchmail stuff in config.xml and
assembly.xml in order to work, even though I'd read this was fixed on the
mailing lists. I haven't stoopidly not got the latest stuff in cvs? I did a
checkout then an update, have I missed a step?

Thanks all.

Regards,

Adam.

This email and any files attached is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, including any attachment, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

We make every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However, you do need to verify this e-mail and any attachments to it to be virus free as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with virus detection software.

RE: IMAP2 james dist issues...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Adam,

Looks like the proposals/ directories haven't had changes applied to them
that are in the main src/ structure.  Look at src/conf/ and update the
imap2/conf/ files appropriately.  Please submit a patch when you've got it
working.

> As an aside, I installed the normal version of james using my CVS build
> first and it required commenting out of fetchmail stuff in config.xml and
> assembly.xml in order to work, even though I'd read this was fixed on the
> mailing lists.

Not all changes are present in the MAIN branch, yet.

	--- Noel