Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/05/16 07:51:46 UTC

[VFS] NOTICE required for Jackrabbit's JcrUtils? (was: [VOTE] Apache Commons VFS 2.1 rc2)

In Jackrabbit's source code I find JcrUtils added in 2009:

https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit/commit/0882a5cc1ed4ce1cf9d3c6b3a592f97c5772ce25

but Jackrabbit graduated from the incubator in 2006:

http://incubator.apache.org/projects/jackrabbit.html

So presumably the software from Day Software was added before that?
Which to me says this is a pure Apache contribution which is only
covered by the regular "This product includes software developed at
ASF" line.

I'll ask on dev@jackrabbit to be sure.

Here's a suggested NOTICE line, in case we still need it:

------------------------------
commons-vfs2-project/core/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/provider/webdav/test/JcrUtils.java
Adapted from Apache Jackrabbit 2.4.0:

Based on source code originally developed by
Day Software (http://www.day.com/).
------------------------------

We don't need to replicate the ASF self-attribution - see
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#bundle-asf-product

~

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [VFS] NOTICE required for Jackrabbit's JcrUtils? (was: [VOTE] Apache Commons VFS 2.1 rc2)

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

>> >  Agreed - so I've tracked it ashttps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-611
>> >
>> >  Could you assign it to me so I can mark it as In Progress?
>
> Tried, but cannot find you as an assign target.
>
> BTW, there is a sibling file which also was derived from JackRabbit:
>
> JackrabbitMain.java
>
> I've not checked when this was added to the JR repo.

Took care of this :)

Re: [VFS] NOTICE required for Jackrabbit's JcrUtils? (was: [VOTE] Apache Commons VFS 2.1 rc2)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

On 2016-05-16 08:29, Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> +cc busbey (in case he misses this discuss, otherwise)
>
> Does this make sense to you? I'm sure you have a better understanding
> than I do at the fringes of licensing @ the ASF :)
>
> tl;dr Those copied files from jackrabbit were added after the code was
> already graduated from Incubator, thus, the original "spirit" of the
> NOTICE (being that *some* code came from "Day Software") is definitively
> known to not apply.

I replied on the JIRA, but for completeness I'll paraphrase here.

It sounds like we have everything covered for NOTICE about the JackRabbit sources. I'd recommend adding a comment to the copied files that points at VFS-611 so that in future reviews there's an easy indicator that we've done due diligence.

Thanks everyone for taking care of this promptly!

--
busbey

Re: [VFS] NOTICE required for Jackrabbit's JcrUtils? (was: [VOTE] Apache Commons VFS 2.1 rc2)

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
See https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Zk01ufa8icmfvo8

It should be Jackrabbit who best decides what is covered by what in the
NOTICE file; however evidence so far is strongly showing JcrUtils to be IP
clean not needing any NOTICE; and so I would suggest continuing with the
RC2 vote as is. If Jackrabbit responds differently, then we can do a 2.1.1
with modified NOTICE

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.