Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/19 05:38:59 UTC

Signing Binary Releases

Stefan/DIGY,

Have either of you gone through the process of making a signed release
yourselves? I've been reading over the documentation, and well..
That's a lot of documentation. It's hard to tell how much of this is
relevant.

I'd like to get myself set up to to do this but it seems a bit
complex. The step by step instructions still left me with questions.
I'd like to put together a wiki page of step-by-step set of
instructions that are specific to our project.

Thanks,
Troy

Re: [Lucene.Net] Re: Signing Binary Releases

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
Okay, cool

Posted by Robert Jordan <ro...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
Educate my users?
That is hardly my role. They get the benefit of being able to run a patch
version without undue hassle.
NHibernate 1.x tried to have a secret snk, and that failed pretty miserably

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ayende Rahien <ay...@ayende.com>.
There are many situations where you _have_ to have a strong key, or example,
gac deployments.
In those cases, anything in the chain also have to have strong key. Most OSS

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Signing Binary Releases

Posted by Robert Jordan <ro...@gmx.net>.

Re: Signing Binary Releases

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-02-19, Troy Howard wrote:

> Have either of you gone through the process of making a signed release
> yourselves?

I'm not sure whether we are taling about the same kind of signing here.

In have OpenPGP signed the archive that het distributed several times
and this is really pretty simple once you have a key - preferrably one
that is well connected.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-02-23, Troy Howard wrote:

> That makes sense. We've been serving up the distributions from
> ~/lucene.net/site/download in our svn repo through the website.

Ah, understood.  This is not the way you should do it - in fact you
should never have done.  Releases are supposed to take advantage of the
ASF mirror system and the mirrors pick up stuff from www.apache.org/dist

The download page either only is a template for a CGI script provided by
our infrastructure gurus or uses
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/ (with an appropriate
path replacing the /incubator/ part) to link to the things to download.
It will never point to the mirrors for PGP signatures of MD5/SHA1
hashes, of course.

> I guess with this release, once it passes the IPMC vote, we can create
> a lucene.net under http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ and serve
> from there?

I'd say you must.

> Should we also move our past release artifacts there?

Old releases are supposed to be on <http://archive.apache.org/dist/>
which is a non-deleting mirror of <http://www.apache.org/dist/>.  You
could get all the old releases archived by putting them on www for a
short time first but then all mirrors would pull them down just to
delete them soon thereafter.  We should ask infra whether there is a
better way to move the old releases to the archive.

Stefan

Re: [Lucene.Net] Re: Signing Binary Releases

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
That makes sense. We've been serving up the distributions from
~/lucene.net/site/download in our svn repo through the website. I
guess with this release, once it passes the IPMC vote, we can create a
lucene.net under http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ and serve from
there? Should we also move our past release artifacts there?

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Stefan,

Thanks so much for the explanation. This is much clearer.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
All,

It seems there's some confusion about the term 'signed release' from
my question. I'm specifically referring to Apache's rules about
signing releases using OpenPGP. This is the part I need help with.

Creating a Strong Named Assembly (SNA) using a Strong Name Key (SNK)
file is easy and is also something we'll be doing shortly, though not
for the 2.9.2 binary release. I'm going to start a new thread under a
different title to discuss that topic.

Stefan - You indicated that the Apache signing process is
straightforward and simple, but the documentation is kind of all over
the place. It discusses so many edge cases and different methods for