Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Darren Hartford <dh...@ghsinc.com> on 2004/01/05 17:49:03 UTC

RE: cactus in testing web services?

Hi shivan,
I've started the road of using Junit for Webservice testing as Webservices are usually accessed outside of their container. Cactus is absolutely great for in-container testing, while Junit is ideal for outside-container testing.  As an example for a service-oriented architecture:

EJB/JBoss backend system with exposed WebService interfaces and two different Swing clients, a Windows .NET client, and a seperate webserver:

Cactus test EJB - test performance internally to VM, following business rules, etc.

Junit test WebService - kind of a 'real-world' functional test of what an external system will see and perform with the webservices.

Then, build the clients to the webservices. If the client is a Servlet that talks to the Webservices (the client runs in a container of some sort), then you may want to do a cactus-test on the client.

Hope this helps!
-D

p.s. to help toot Vincent's horn, check out his presentation on strategies for testing:
http://www.pivolis.com/pdf/Unit_Testing_J2EE_V1.1.pdf
Specifically, slide 10 and 11 may help.