Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/12/04 18:45:47 UTC

Mini roadmap

Howdy,

Just wanted to share a few ideas about some things I would like to do
over the next couple of weeks.

I think it is apparent that we are in a bit of deadlock wrt to a release
so I would like to do the following to try and get a stable release out
in the next little while.

1. Get maven-model working with 100% coverage (done).
2. Get maven-model-tools working with 100% coverage.
3. Get maven-project working with 100% coverage while.
   excluding artifact handling code to give Michal some time
   to clean up Wagon.
4. Integrate Wagon into maven-project and get the resulting code
   working with 100% coverage.

After these steps these three components can be wrapped with a plexus
embedder to create a small tool that will take care of the entire Maven
project building concern and that's what I would like to integrate into
Maven for the 1.0 release because we're just floundering at this point.

In order to use this it means that all notions of Jelly/Ant must be
pushed into PluginManager. I have code in the RC2_REFACTOR which strips
the Ant/Jelly code out of Cli/App classes which I believe will be enough
when combined with the new project builder.

So at this point I am going to work on the components and then if no one
has beaten me to it I will strip Jelly/Ant out of the necessary places
in order to use the new project builder.

With the use of the new project builder recursive inheritance will work
on all levels with respect to the model and properties and we can then
focus on the Jelly related stuff.

I believe it will take less time with this approach as the components I
want to use are cleanly separated and it will be much easier to create
comprehensive tests with Jelly/Ant out of the way. Ultimately this is
the only solution that will work for the long-term and I think it's
obvious our attempts on the various branches isn't working so I would
like to focus on the long-term solution as I think it will actually be
faster and easier to do.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Mini roadmap

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I'd much rather focus my efforts on the 1.0 branch.

Yes, it's taking time, but it has the least chance of suprising us with
unexpected issues.

I've seen radical implementation switches cost us lots of time before too,
and I don't believe we have anywhere near enough tests to cover the
current jelly plugin contract with maven core.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

RE: Mini roadmap

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 13:06, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Why not simply release Maven 1.0 now (from the 1.0 branch)? There are
> some limitations sure but they will be addressed in Maven 1.1.

That's what I recommended about a month ago and you were one of the
people who advised against that :-) I'm fine with that.

> I think it's much less work (and less risky) than trying to create
> something new altogether. I'm really worried by introducing completely
> new code when we should actually be releasing maven 1.0.

With 100% coverage I think it will be doubtful it could be any worse
than what we have now but I'm fine with releasing what we have as 1.0
asap.

> Maven 1.0 does not have to be the Saint Graal, does it? :-)

Certainly not.

> I've been using Maven 1.0 beta 10 on a project at work for several
> months and it's working fine. Sure there are some limitations (like
> inheritance, etc) but it's not preventing us from working.
>
> That said, I'll shut up as I won't have the time to help in the coming
> 1-2 weeks.

I'm all for releasing 1.0 now even with it's warts and at the rate I'm
going now I think it would only be a matter of a week before I have the
components working and then not much more than a week to integrate them.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org