Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com> on 2008/10/31 11:12:11 UTC

How to find tomcat's- window service parameters

Hi All,

I have a tomcat on a windows2000 server .
It is run as a window service.

I want to find the service parameters like.My main idea is that i want to
increase the heap size of JVM.

   service_name:   The name of the service.
   jvm_library:    The location of the JVM DLL under which to run the
   service.
   jvm_option:     An option to use when starting the JVM, such as:
                   "-Djava.class.path=c:\classes" or "-Xmx128m".
   start_class:    The class to load when starting the service.
   start_method:   The method to call in the start_class. default: main
   start_parameter:A parameter to pass in to the start_method.
   stop_class:     The class to load when stopping the service.
   stop_method:    The method to call in the stop_class. default: main
   stop_parameter: A parameter to pass in to the stop_method.
   out_log_file:   A file to redirect System.out into.
   err_log_file:   A file to redirect System.err into.
   current_dir:    The current working directory for the service.
                   Relative paths will be relative to this directory.
   extra_path:     Path additions, for native DLLs etc.

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan.

RE: How to find tomcat's- window service parameters

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Thangavel Sankaranarayanan [mailto:tsankara@in.ibm.com]
> Subject: Re: How to find tomcat's- window service parameters

First off, always tell us what version of Tomcat you're using.  Since you didn't bother to do that, we'll talk about Tomcat 6.0.

> Thanks for the reply and i can find the following at the end of
> catalina.bat..

The reference to catalina.bat was only to give you an idea of what parameters the scripts use when starting Tomcat.  Since you're running Tomcat as a service, the scripts are not used, nor are any environment variables.

Run the tomcat6w.exe program for each of your Tomcat installations and go through the various tabs to see where to enter heap size and other command line options.

 - Chuck

Re: How to find tomcat's- window service parameters

Posted by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and i can find the following at the end of
catalina.bat..

Main class- Bootstrap
Classpath is in environmental varaial
There is no env variable  set for java_opts,catalina_opts...

%_EXECJAVA% %JAVA_OPTS% %CATALINA_OPTS% %DEBUG_OPTS%
-Djava.endorsed.dirs="%JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS%" -classpath "%CLASSPATH%"
-Dcatalina.base="%CATALINA_BASE%" -Dcatalina.home="%CATALINA_HOME%"
-Djava.io.tmpdir="%CATALINA_TMPDIR%" %MAINCLASS% %CMD_LINE_ARGS% %ACTION%

One more big doubt which is breaking my head is ...In my machine there are
two tomcats( Say tomcat A and Tomcat B) which hosts two different
application( Note: the content of Catalina.bat for both is same).

The environment variable is pointing to Catalina_home of Tomcat A...
So when u start tomcat B what happens???
Which class is used to start tomcatB...
and catalina_home etc....
pls help me on this.

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

             "Serge Fonville"
             <serge.fonville@g
             mail.com>                                                  To
                                       "Tomcat Users List"
             31/10/08 03:55 PM         <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

               "Tomcat Users           Re: How to find tomcat's- window
                   List"               service parameters
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

Hi,
All options that are passed to tomcat can be configured through
catalina.bat
Also, if you enable jmx you can monitor the details you specified.
By executing tomcat[major]w.exe you get an application that interfaces with
tomcat to show information (including a few things you asked)
if all you want to do is increase the heap size, this can be done in
catalina.bat by adding -Xms and -Xmx to the java_opts

Any additional information about your environment would be helpful to
answer
your questions

Regards,

Serge Fonville