Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by pieter-gmail <pi...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/24 18:57:27 UTC

RE: PathRetractionStrategy and TraverserRequirement.PATH

Hi,

This is on 3.2.3

I have been investigating why
`DedupTest.g_V_asXaX_repeatXbothX_timesX3X_emit_asXbX_group_byXselectXaXX_byXselectXbX_dedup_order_byXidX_foldX_selectXvaluesX_unfold_dedup`
fails on Sqlg. It is a fairly recently added test.

My investigation so far has narrowed the problem to the
`PathRetractionStrategy`

On the modern graph,

        GraphTraversal<Vertex, Map<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>>>
traversal = g.traversal()
                .V().as("a")
                .out().as("b")
                .<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>>group().by(select("a"))
                .by(select("b"));
        printTraversalForm(traversal);

Outputs the following on TinkerGraph

pre-strategy:[GraphStep(vertex,[])@[a], VertexStep(OUT,vertex)@[b],
GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a)],[SelectOneStep(b)])]
  post-strategy:[TinkerGraphStep(vertex,[])@[a],
VertexStep(OUT,vertex)@[b], GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a),
NoOpBarrierStep(2500)],[SelectOneStep(b), NoOpBarrierStep(2500)])]

And on Sqlg
   pre-strategy:[GraphStep(vertex,[])@[a], VertexStep(OUT,vertex)@[b],
GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a)],[SelectOneStep(b)])]
  post-strategy:[SqlgGraphStepCompiled(vertex,[])@[b],
GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a)],[SelectOneStep(b)])]

The difference being that Sqlg does not have the `NoOpBarrierStep` inserted.

For TinkerGraph the `NoOpBarrierStep` is being inserted in the
`PathRetractionStrategy` on line 113
However this does not happen for Sqlg as Sqlg's GraphStep has
`TraverRequirement.PATH` as a requirement which prevents
`PathRetractionStrategy` from doing what it does.

Is this a bug of sorts? Should Sqlg be adding in the `NoOpBarrierStep`?

Thanks
Pieter

Re: PathRetractionStrategy and TraverserRequirement.PATH

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hello Pieter,

There was a bug in RepeatStep OLAP around emit().as(‘x’) that was fixed in 3.2.3. Perhaps it is related…

Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 3:44 AM, pieter-gmail <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, now I know Sqlg has indeed been bugged. I am loosing the label
> after the emit().as("b").
>
> Cheers
> Pieter
>
> On 25/10/2016 21:29, Marko Rodriguez wrote:
>> Here is a simple test. Remove PathRetractionStrategy from TinkerGraph traversal and see what you get? Do you get what Sqlg returns or the same as if with PathRetractionStrategy.
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>> graph = TinkerFactory.createModern();
>> g = graph.traversal().withoutStrategies(PathRetractionStrategy.class);
>> g.V().the().traversal().to().test()
>>
>> If you get the same answer without PathRetractionStrategy, then you know that Sqlg is bugged.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Marko.
>>
>> http://markorodriguez.com
>>

>>> On Oct 24, 2016, at 2:21 PM, pieter-gmail <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok apologies. I thought I spotted the difference and simplified the
>>> gremlin too much to highlight what I thought I saw. The above mentioned
>>> queries are returning the same result in Sqlg as TinkerGraph.
>>>
>>> Here is what is not working.
>>>
>>>       final TinkerGraph g = TinkerFactory.createModern();
>>>       GraphTraversal<Vertex, Map<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>>>
>>> traversal = g.traversal()
>>>               .V().as("a")
>>>               .repeat(both()).times(3).emit().as("b")
>>>               .<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>>group().by(select("a"));
>>>       printTraversalForm(traversal);
>>>       while (traversal.hasNext()) {
>>>           Map<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>> vertexMap = traversal.next();
>>>           for (Vertex vertex : vertexMap.keySet()) {
>>>               Collection<Vertex> coll = vertexMap.get(vertex);
>>>               System.out.println("key: " + vertex.value("name") + ",
>>> value: " + coll.size());
>>>           }
>>>       }
>>>
>>> For this Sqlg has the same result as TinkerGraph.
>>>
>>> TinkerGraph
>>>
>>> post-strategy:[TinkerGraphStep(vertex,[])@[a],
>>> RepeatStep([VertexStep(BOTH,vertex),
>>> RepeatEndStep],until(loops(3)),emit(true))@[b],
>>> GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a), NoOpBarrierStep(2500)],[FoldStep])]
>>>
>>> Sqlg
>>>
>>> post-strategy:[SqlgGraphStepCompiled(vertex,[])@[sqlgPathFakeLabel],
>>> GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a)],[FoldStep])]
>>>
>>> key: marko, value: 27
>>> key: vadas, value: 11
>>> key: lop, value: 27
>>> key: josh, value: 27
>>> key: ripple, value: 11
>>> key: peter, value: 11
>>>
>>> Adding in the extra by()
>>>
>>>       final TinkerGraph g = TinkerFactory.createModern();
>>>       GraphTraversal<Vertex, Map<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>>>
>>> traversal = g.traversal()
>>>               .V().as("a")
>>>               .repeat(both()).times(3).emit().as("b")
>>>               .<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>>group().by(select("a"))
>>>               .by(select("b").dedup().order().by(T.id).fold());
>>>       printTraversalForm(traversal);
>>>       while (traversal.hasNext()) {
>>>           Map<Vertex, Collection<Vertex>> vertexMap = traversal.next();
>>>           for (Vertex vertex : vertexMap.keySet()) {
>>>               Collection<Vertex> coll = vertexMap.get(vertex);
>>>               System.out.println("key: " + vertex.value("name") + ",
>>> value: " + coll.size());
>>>           }
>>>       }
>>>
>>> TinkerGraph prints
>>>
>>> post-strategy:[TinkerGraphStep(vertex,[])@[a],
>>> RepeatStep([VertexStep(BOTH,vertex),
>>> RepeatEndStep],until(loops(3)),emit(true))@[b],
>>> GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a), NoOpBarrierStep(2500)],[SelectOneStep(b),
>>> DedupGlobalStep, OrderGlobalStep([[id, incr]]), FoldStep])]
>>>
>>> key: marko, value: 6
>>> key: vadas, value: 6
>>> key: lop, value: 6
>>> key: josh, value: 6
>>> key: ripple, value: 6
>>> key: peter, value: 6
>>>
>>> and Sqlg
>>>
>>> post-strategy:[SqlgGraphStepCompiled(vertex,[])@[sqlgPathFakeLabel],
>>> GroupStep([SelectOneStep(a)],[SelectOneStep(b), DedupGlobalStep,

Posted by pieter-gmail <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pieter-gmail <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com>.