Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/31 16:11:51 UTC

Apache Mahout's participation in GSoC

Hello everyone!

I have a few questions regarding ASF's participation in GSoC this year.

I have approached the Mahout community to contribute to Mahout's
development in the summer (as part of GSoC) in the form of an algorithm.
Trevor Grant, a committer of Apache Mahout has agreed to mentor me and has
filled in the paperwork for mentorship.

My question is that how many slots does ASF expect to have in GSoC this
year. Among those slots, how many would be for Apache Mahout. I'm asking
this specifically because the ideas page (Apache's Jira Issues page) does
not have any issues related to Mahout.

I was interested in Mahout because of it being a distributed algorithms
framework and hence proposed an idea to contribute an algorithm as part of
GSoC 2017.
(I'm still discussing and reworking my proposal with Trevor's guidance)

Awaiting your replies.

PS: I haven't been able to contribute to Mahout in terms of a bug fix /
patch because most beginner level issues were already fixed as part of the
0.13 release and I don't want to lose out on the opportunity because of
lack of contribution. Although, Trevor gave me some reading material (a set
of docs that he is still working on) to get a grip of the Mahout ecosystem.

Regards,
Aditya

Re: Apache Mahout's participation in GSoC

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
You could open a JIRA issue with "gsoc2017" tag for any discussions around
that issue.
After you've done submitting, you could talk to Trevor (or anyone else from
Mahout) to register as a mentor at GSoC.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hello again,