Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Curtis NPC <cu...@npc-usa.com> on 2017/06/07 17:48:31 UTC

SA to run or not

Postfix 2.1.0-3
Ubuntu LTS
SA 3.4.1-3

I noticed that SA is not running whenever I reboot the server. My
understanding is that amavis utilities SA to help with spam. So, is
amavis running based on a need, or should SA be running as a daemon?
When I start SA, it doesn't seem to effect amavis to any detriment, so
it would seem that should be running.

I've now made it enabled by default, but wondering why that's not the
default. Maybe it shouldn't be?

Thanks!

Re: SA to run or not

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 6/7/2017 1:48 PM, Curtis NPC wrote:
> Postfix 2.1.0-3
> Ubuntu LTS
> SA 3.4.1-3
>
> I noticed that SA is not running whenever I reboot the server. My
> understanding is that amavis utilities SA to help with spam. So, is
> amavis running based on a need, or should SA be running as a daemon?
> When I start SA, it doesn't seem to effect amavis to any detriment, so
> it would seem that should be running.
>
> I've now made it enabled by default, but wondering why that's not the
> default. Maybe it shouldn't be?
It should not be running, I believe.

Apache SpamAssassin is a CLI program, a daemon and an API.

Amavisd-new will pull it in as an API and is daemonizes things there so
you should not need it.

HTH, KAM