Posted to user@ant.apache.org by shreedhar natarajan <sh...@ami.com> on 2006/01/11 17:25:47 UTC

cpp task

Hi all,

How does the cpp task makes a decision to compile/not to compile a cpp file. How about the objs are re-created if they are dirty. I know in java ant compares the date of the src with the class file.

Thanks
Shreedhar

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
> How does the cpp task makes a decision to compile/not to compile a cpp file. How about the objs are re-created if they are dirty. I know in java ant compares the date of the src with the class file.

(1) CppTasks is part of SourceForge's Ant-Contrib project. The correct
forum to ask questions about it is the ant-contrib list.

(2) Have you tried it? In my experience, CppTask has excellent
dependency checking. It does depend on timestamps, not file hashes
(MD5 or else), so it can be fooled with the usual remote filesystem
and unsync'd clocks issue, but beside this, it checks sources,
objects, included headers, even notices differences in compiler/linker
command lines and when libraries changed to relink.

It's not very easy to get started with, with it works really well with
incremental builds once you get it going. Try it. --DD