Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by krisrks <co...@yahoo.com> on 2008/09/18 01:45:28 UTC

Deploying a Java Web Application on / folder

Hello,

I am trying to deploy a java Web application on Tomcat Server. This is part
of my server.xml file

<Host name="anotherheadsets.com" appBase="/home/anotherheadsets/public_html"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
         <Alias>www.anotherheadsets.com</Alias>
         <Context path="" reloadable="true"
docBase="/home/anotherheadsets/public_html" />
         <Context path="/manager"
docBase="/usr/local/tomcat/users/anotherheadsets/tomcat/webapps/manager"
                  privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
antiJARLocking="false" reloadable="true" />
      </Host>

When I am deploying my application as ProjectOne.war on tomcat, the
application works fine when I use the url

http://www.anotherheadsets.com/ProjectOne

But when I am using the url

http://www.anotherheadsets.com

the application doesn't seem to work properly...

How do I deploy my application on the home URL rather than a subdirectory...
What modifications do I need to make to config files.

Thank you in advance.

Kris

RE: Deploying a Java Web Application on / folder

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: krisrks [mailto:cool.rksrivastava@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Deploying a Java Web Application on / folder
>
> I am trying to deploy a java Web application on Tomcat Server.

Should we guess which version of Tomcat you're using, or would you deign to tell us?

> <Host name="anotherheadsets.com"
> appBase="/home/anotherheadsets/public_html"
> unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>          <Alias>www.anotherheadsets.com</Alias>
>          <Context path="" reloadable="true"
> docBase="/home/anotherheadsets/public_html" />
>          <Context path="/manager"
> docBase="/usr/local/tomcat/users/anotherheadsets/tomcat/webapp
> s/manager"
>                   privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
> antiJARLocking="false" reloadable="true" />
>       </Host>

You have one basic error: the appBase and docBase settings for a webapp must *never* be the same; erratic behavior is guaranteed.

If you're using any reasonably recent version of Tomcat, you should not be putting <Context> elements in server.xml - really bad practice.

As previously stated in this thread, the default webapp should be named ROOT, placed under the appBase directory specified in the <Host> element (if you're running on Tomcat 5.0 or above).  For your situation, no <Context> element is needed for your webapp.

 - Chuck

Re: Deploying a Java Web Application on / folder

Posted by Stephen Souness <so...@hotmail.com>.
You'll get better mileage as;

ROOT.war

- case sensitivity tends to matter for this sort of thing.

--
Stephen Souness

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.