Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1998/11/09 20:33:37 UTC

Linux-2.1.127 (fwd)

FYI, something I mentioned a while back as a better alternative to turning
off nagle (which causes a packet to be sent for every write()).  I haven't
looked yet to see how you force the kernel to flush the socket.

Dean

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
When I looked it appears that FreeBSD already has something that does a
similar thing.  There isn't any way to force the push, except I think by
disabling the option.

It is just a TCP_NOPUSH setsockopt() that was around four lines of code to
add when it was added.

The reason it was added is for T/TCP, so you can buffer a bunch of stuff
before it goes out so T/TCP doesn't require extra segments.