Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by Bala Krishnan <ba...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/19 06:20:06 UTC

UMLS CUI mapping problem

Hi,

I have certain clarifications on classification of entities and UMLS CUI
mapping using cTakes. I tested with a clinical document that contains
different lab experiments. The entity types were classified properly but
the UMLS CUI is not mapping properly. For eg: The lab test "Hemoglobin A1c"
is correctly classified as procedure. But the UMLS code is mapped to
C0202054. When I check it in UMLS Metathesaurus browser, it returned
different concept "Glucohemoglobin measurement" mapped to the CUI code. I
am using umls 2011 ab dictionary. Can anyone suggest me how to improve the
accuracy for UMLS cui mapping ?

Regards,
Prasanna

Re: UMLS CUI mapping problem

Posted by Tim O'Connell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prasanna,

Hemoglobin A1c is a measure of glycosylated hemoglobin, and is sometimes
referred to as a glucohemoglobin measurement, so there's no mis-mapping in
this example as the terms are clinical synonyms.

Do you have any other examples?

Tim