Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Dave Viner <dv...@apache.org> on 2005/08/31 01:41:23 UTC

jackrabbit and webdav

what is the difference between jackrabbit and webdav?

what features does jackrabbit provide that webdav does not?

thanks
dave

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Dave Viner wrote:
> Thanks for this.  It's good that I haven't missed something glaringly
> different between them.  Since WebDAV and JSR-170 are functionally
> identical, how would you compare the two?  That is, how should one
> select between them?

This is similar to asking if you should use HTTP or a servlet.

--
Stefano.

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by Dave Viner <dv...@apache.org>.
Thanks for this.  It's good that I haven't missed something glaringly
different between them.  Since WebDAV and JSR-170 are functionally
identical, how would you compare the two?  That is, how should one
select between them?

Thanks
Dave

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi dave,

> Sorry, I didn't formulate my original question very clearly.  I'm trying
> to understand the differences between WebDAV and JSR-170.
does stefano's comment answer your question now?
protocol vs. api.

> Both seem to
> serve very similar purposes.  But I don't understand the differences, or
> why JSR-170 was developed after webdav.
servlet was developed after http? so?

> I assume that there are some
> functions that jcr offers that webdav does not,
why?

> but I'm having trouble seeing them.
me too ;)

> The homepage http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/ says
> "Jackrabbit's implementation began as a proposal within the Jakarta
> Slide <http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html>project, but has since
> attracted interest from multiple projects with the Apache Software
> Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>, including Slide, Cocoon, Lenya, XML
> Indexing, Axion, and Derby."  But it doesn't say why JackRabbit was
> extracted from the Slide project (which is WebDAV).
because it wasn't. there is no slide code in jackrabbit.
the slide project IS not webdav.
the slide project is a proprietary content repository, with a
"controversial" webdav server as a protocol layer to interact
with it.

> Can anyone provide me with pointers to that history? Or provide a
> summary of the split from WebDAV?

maybe this old thread may help you:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-jackrabbit-dev/200410.mbox/%3Ceb7e219041026064862d367b8@mail.gmail.com%3E

or in more details, here:

http://www.day.com/jsr170/server/JCR_Webdav_Protocol.zip

does that answer your question?

regards,
david

.ps: numerous people with a webdav background (including the original
slide developers) were involved in developing jsr-170, especially geoff
clemm from delta-v and general webdav fame, and from my perspective they
did an excellent job making sure that jcr and webdav work together nicely.

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi manuel,

> Thanks Dave for pointing out something that was
> bothering me as well.
well, i am not sure the two of you are talking about the same thing.

> My company has to design and develop an application to
> serve as a document repository for a small
> governmental istitution together with some workflow
> functionality.
> By now I have two choices:
> 1. JackRabbit
> 2. Slide
> Since the application requirements could be fulfilled
> by any reliable document repository which exposes a
> webdav/deltav interface.
webdav and delta-v offer you a protocol interface.
not an api. since you are developing an application
you will have to deal with an api of some form or
another.

> what is in the future of the slide project ?
this may be the wrong list to ask that question,
maybe the slide-dev list can answer that.
of course i have my personal opinion on that.

> are the developers and users of the slide project
> going to migrate to jackrabbit ?
i don't know that. i would recommend it ;)

> When is the first release of jackrabbit planned ?
it is not planned in detail yet.
but functionally and from a code maturity perspective
i would argue that jackrabbit is in a good shape for a
v1.0 release.

> I would thank anyone that could shed some light on
> this topic, which in the end is about evaluating the
> risk of choosing a platform to start a project from.
this should not only be a choice between slide or
jackrabbit but between a standarized api and a
proprietary one.
jcr is supported by the major commercial content
repository vendors [1].
so if you would like to end up with a portable
application i would suggest to use jcr and any compliant
repository for that matter.

regards,
david

[1] http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by Manuel Zini <ml...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Dave for pointing out something that was
bothering me as well.

My company has to design and develop an application to
serve as a document repository for a small
governmental istitution together with some workflow
functionality.

By now I have two choices:

1. JackRabbit
2. Slide

Since the application requirements could be fulfilled
by any reliable document repository which exposes a
webdav/deltav interface.

And there comes the question...

why the two projects splitted up ?

___________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.it

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by Dave Viner <dv...@apache.org>.
Hi Raphael,

Sorry, I didn't formulate my original question very clearly.  I'm trying
to understand the differences between WebDAV and JSR-170.  Both seem to
seeing them.  The homepage http://incubator.apache.org/jackrabbit/ says

Re: jackrabbit and webdav

Posted by Raphael Wegmueller <ra...@gmail.com>.
hi dave,