Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Sebastian Steinhauer <st...@kieselsteini.de> on 2007/01/08 13:36:30 UTC

Different Users on multiple domains

Hi James-Users.

I'm new to James and I'm really impressed. A setup for a single box is quite
easy but now I want to use James on a greater server. This server handles 4
domains and for every domain I want to have different users. So this is what
I've done so far:
1. the usernames contain the domain e.g. steini@domain.xyz
2. to deliver the mails to the right users I added an XMLVirtualUser mailet
3. <mapping>*@domain.xyz=regex(.*):${1}@domain.xyz</mapping>

Now I've two problems:
1. James doesn't deliver any mails (sending is ok but receiving doesn't work)
2. James doesn't bounce the sended mail...so the sending user won't get any
information (I enabled a Bounce mailet in local-address-error processor)

Thankyou. If such question was asked bevore I'm sorry, but I found nothing and
the archives for this mailinglist seem to be down.

steini

--
carpe diem!
--steini.

Re: Different Users on multiple domains

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Sebastian Steinhauer wrote:
> Hi James-Users.
>
> I'm new to James and I'm really impressed. A setup for a single box is quite
> easy but now I want to use James on a greater server. This server handles 4
> domains and for every domain I want to have different users. So this is what
> I've done so far:
> 1. the usernames contain the domain e.g. steini@domain.xyz
> 2. to deliver the mails to the right users I added an XMLVirtualUser mailet
> 3. <mapping>*@domain.xyz=regex(.*):${1}@domain.xyz</mapping>
>
> Now I've two problems:
> 1. James doesn't deliver any mails (sending is ok but receiving doesn't work)
> 2. James doesn't bounce the sended mail...so the sending user won't get any
> information (I enabled a Bounce mailet in local-address-error processor)
>
> Thankyou. If such question was asked bevore I'm sorry, but I found nothing and
> the archives for this mailinglist seem to be down.
>
> steini

We are adding a similar support for virtual hosting in the next major
release of james.

In the mean time you can try something really similar to what you did
but use "domain.xyz_${1}" or something like this for the usernames
(don't use the @ in the rewrite but add the domain in the localpart).
Unfortunately you will have to give this "names" as pop3 usernames or
you will have to patch pop3server to rewrite the users before trying the
authentication and retrieve the mailbox.

Stefano