Posted to user@struts.apache.org by jd...@frii.com on 2001/04/18 17:03:58 UTC

http status 500 - Child of an Engine must be a Host

Hi all,
    I get this error when trying to access my struts app over an
intranet using just  IP:port/context rather than hostname:port/context.
I'm using struts source( ~4/13), tomcat 4.0-b1 standalone.
This is a new one to me.

thanks

john ware

Re: http status 500 - Child of an Engine must be a Host

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 jdware@frii.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I get this error when trying to access my struts app over an
> intranet using just  IP:port/context rather than hostname:port/context.
> I'm using struts source( ~4/13), tomcat 4.0-b1 standalone.
> This is a new one to me.

This is most likely a problem with your Tomcat configuration.  In
particular, make sure that there is a defaultHost attribute on your
<Engine> element, so that requests for unrecognized hostnames (which an IP
address would be) are directed to the correct virtual host.

> thanks
>
> john ware

Craig