Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Mayank Jaglan <mj...@umail.iu.edu> on 2017/05/06 18:35:17 UTC

[#Spring17-Airavata-Courses]: [Debugging applications with Vagrant Boxes] Setting up an automated production like local development environment (part-3)

Hello Dev.

In previous email thread (part-2), I explored proper tool for IDE Integration of Docker and Vagrant.

For automated local development and testing, one of the approach I am considering here is to "Run Ansible Playbooks on top of Vagrant Box".  And for Vagrant integration with IDE, I am continuing the use of Eclipse Vagrant Tooling (and Jetbrains Vagrant Plugin) .

For debugging deployed code base in Vagrant box following approaches are considered until now -
---- Login to vagrant box in order to inspect processes manually.
---- Set up shared folders in vagrantfile. This shared folder is a centralized persistent space on disk available for read from the host machine.
----  Attach your IDE's debugger to a running process which is inside the vagrant box, for remote debugging.
---- Debugging output from Ansible and Vagrant (for Ansible Provisioning in Vagrant)

This work is posted on my blog - https://mjaglan.github.io/docs/devops-for-airavata.html
Under the Topic: Run Ansible Playbooks on top of Vagrant Box

I am looking for some discussion on what could be the better approaches for local debugging of deployed code base in Vagrant box when Ansible Provisioning is included.

Best,
Mayank