Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/04 13:10:27 UTC

[RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage

Hi,

we want probably a download link/page on our Apache project page
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

For example in the navigation bar

About
Downloads
License

On this page I would propose that we link to the src release packages
and a second section for the binaries where we simply link to the
download page on www.openoffice.org

I am currently preparing a downloads.mdtext file and it should look a
little bit like the src dev snaphot build page
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/src_releases/srcrelease.html

Any ideas, comments or opinions

Juergen

Re: [RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 01:10 PM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> we want probably a download link/page on our Apache project page
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>
> For example in the navigation bar
>
> About
> Downloads
> License
>
> On this page I would propose that we link to the src release packages
> and a second section for the binaries where we simply link to the
> download page on www.openoffice.org
>
> I am currently preparing a downloads.mdtext file and it should look a
> little bit like the src dev snaphot build page
> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/src_releases/srcrelease.html
>

> Any ideas, comments or opinions

I would keep all downloadable files (binaries, SDK, source, checksums)
in a single area. This makes it easier to maintain this stuff and to
reduce the complexity of the DL logic.

So, yes to a download link on the podling page. But only as redirect to
the real download webpages.

My 2 ct.

Marcus

Re: [RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> A distribution consists of several pieces:
>
> 1) The binaries, i.e., the install images.  These are served up via
> SourceForge
>
> 2) The source tarballs -- These could go out via Apache mirror network
> if we want.  Or SourceForge.  Is will be very low volume in either
> case.
>
> 3) The detached signatures and hashes,

Thanks Rob!,

Makes sense to distribute the binaries using SF, and the sources from the
apache mirrors.
I misunderstood the OP as a change of plans wrt SF.net

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: [RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 4, 2012, at 10:02 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> That is correct for the www.openoffice.org/download/ main download page.
>>>
>>> The legacy 3.3 binaries should continue to be available from the MirrorBrain network.
>>>
>>> A portion of the Apache Mirrors will also seed AOO. The page being discussed here is on the project site at incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/. This page will serve through the Apache Mirrors. The mirror operators are seeding these large binaries and we need to use those as well.
>>>

>> No. no. no.  We're trying to reduce the number of places where
>> download logic lives.  If we have a download link for AOO on the
>> incubator page it should just point to the download.openoffice.org.
>
> My understanding from past conversations on the binaries topic is that
> we'll have SourceForge serving binaries, and MirrorBrain serving
> updates. This will make easy to track downloads and have meaningful
> stats.

This is mainly about source. I believe that we must use the Apache Mirrors for Source and it makes sense to use it for the SDK. Initially we discussed source on the project site and binary on openoffice.org, but that was quite some awhile ago.

Consider the binary part to be an experiment in automating the production of these "other" pages. It can be turned off, or reused on download.openoffice.org (www.openoffice.org/download/)

It is also my understanding that the main reason was not to mix between mirrors so that we are able to debug the process if there are problems. That was the argument that swayed me.

Nothing negative about SF, but I think we need to be able to use the Apache Mirrors. These operators have been ask to opt-in to taking the AOO artifacts. Will they host our project if no traffic is ever sent there. Whether we expose that can be a future question.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 4, 2012, at 4:16 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>> And Apache /dist serving the hashes for verification
>
> This is surely OK, but the project policy at OpenOffice.org was to additionally send an e-mail to a public list (it would be ooo-dev with the current settings) with all checksums. While it may sound odd, it makes sense since the list is publicly archived in several places, so if the website is hacked (or simply if its revision history is lost due to migration, like it recently happened for openoffice.org) it is always possible to verify that an OpenOffice download is genuine.

The ASF works very hard at protecting the integrity of /dist. It should be considered safe.

Both /dist and the site are in svn. As long as the project is keeping an eye on commit logs we can be pretty sure to catch any bad changes through a committer id.

Multiples that are the same distributed all over are good too. The mirrors serve that purpose.

Best would be digitally signed packages. If you watch Foundation lists, you'll know that such signing is being discussed. WIth that this business of checksums goes away.

But nothing wrong with email.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 4, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 05/04/2012 07:31 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

>>> And Apache mirrors serving source code tarbars and SDK downloads.
>>>
>>> And Apache /dist serving the hashes for verification
>>>
>>> Does anyone object to that as the plan?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> Where should the Source/SDK download page live? Project Site or www.openoffice.org/download/source/?
>
> This webpage already exist. Of course needs a complete rework for AOO 3.4.0.
>
> Furthermore, previously all files were available together on the "other.html". Currently I plan to continue this.
>
>> Does anyone object to a hidden page that is an experiment in producing download pages from a file that describes the release package? That file can have the mirror policy for each type of artifact.
>
> I don't know what the need is to hide a webpage.

By hide I mean, it will be an experiment.

>> I would also like to remove as much of the page javascript as possible.
>
> From all webpages but the "index.html"? I tend to agree.

As an experiment it will be a new version of other. It will take some time and I plan to proceed similarly to Jürgen. For now, I'm silent.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/04/2012 07:31 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On May 4, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> My understanding from past conversations on the binaries topic is that
>>> we'll have SourceForge serving binaries, and MirrorBrain serving
>>> updates. This will make easy to track downloads and have meaningful
>>> stats.
>>>

>> And Apache mirrors serving source code tarbars and SDK downloads.
>>
>> And Apache /dist serving the hashes for verification
>>
>> Does anyone object to that as the plan?
>
> No.
>
> Where should the Source/SDK download page live? Project Site or www.openoffice.org/download/source/?

This webpage already exist. Of course needs a complete rework for AOO 3.4.0.

Furthermore, previously all files were available together on the
"other.html". Currently I plan to continue this.

> Does anyone object to a hidden page that is an experiment in producing download pages from a file that describes the release package? That file can have the mirror policy for each type of artifact.

I don't know what the need is to hide a webpage.

> I would also like to remove as much of the page javascript as possible.

 From all webpages but the "index.html"? I tend to agree.

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: [RELEASE]: download page on the AOO project webpage

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi,

On May 4, 2012, at 4:10 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we want probably a download link/page on our Apache project page http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

I was planning to do something similar, but $job and RSI has intruded.

> For example in the navigation bar
>
> About
> Downloads
> License
>
> On this page I would propose that we link to the src release packages and a second section for the binaries where we simply link to the download page on www.openoffice.org

I think we should offer mappings and have this page definitely download via the Apache mirrors. I know what to do to make this work with the Apache mirror cgi.

> I am currently preparing a downloads.mdtext file and it should look a little bit like the src dev snaphot build page http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/src_releases/srcrelease.html

Sure.

> Any ideas, comments or opinions

I think that in the mdtext rather than using [1] numeric links you should use links that are descriptive eg.

[cur_mac_en_us]

I did a bunch of CMS documentation at work using tags like this and it works well.

Point me to your downloads.mdtext when you are ready and I'll enhance.

Over time we should be able to make the CMS generate the table and links from an XML or tab delimited table of what's currently available.

Best Regards,
Dave