Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Makc <lu...@mail.ru> on 2002/01/06 18:57:15 UTC

why 505 comes with 403

  Problem:

  .access of my folder contains:
  >deny from all
  >errordocument 403 ../403.htm

  403.htm does exist.
  accessing blah.blah/my_folder results in:

  >Forbidden
  >You don't have permission to access ....
  >Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered
  >while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

  What can be a reason / workaround ?

  Thank's in advance, Max.

Re: why 505 comes with 403

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Please post in plain text - I can't quote your posting...

Anyway, check that access is allowed to your ErrorDocuments. I also
would not use a relative path for an ErrorDocument (../403.htm) - it is
clearer to use a path which is absolute from the DocumentRoot, e.g.

ErrorDocument 403 /errors/403.htm

By the way, what's with the "htm" extension? The correct extension for a
hypertext markup language file is "html". The short-form "htm" was
introduced by Microsoft when they belatedly discovered the web and had
to come up with something which would fit their limited 8.3 character
namespace on Windows 3.1 etc. It is a proprietary relic and should be
discarded.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.