Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "n. alex rupp" <ru...@umn.edu> on 2003/12/11 23:28:42 UTC

Important article you should all read.

You guys might want to read this--it has a whole lot of strategy hooks,
practically a full roadmap for our efforts here.

http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=38149&page=2

"Even if you are only looking at the J2EE features there are vast differences in
the performance, scale, reliability and usability of the underlying machinery.
More importantly, customers need to look at the complete package, of which J2EE
only one part. J2EE says little or nothing of clustering, caching, application
security, management, personalization, portals, business process management or
development tools, nor does it assure quality documentation, support and other
services. These are the areas that differentiate an enterprise Application
Server like WebLogic from a simple J2EE implementation like you see from JBoss
or Apache. J2EE compliance and certification are simply the price of admission,
not a basis to claim equality. Anyone can implement the J2EE specs. Surrounding
J2EE with a scalable and reliable platform that includes other enterprise
functionality that customers need is the hard part."

Those hundreds of you out there who want something to do around here might give
this a gander and start thinking really hard about how we can build a feature
platform for these different bits.  These guys have a several year head start on
us, but that doesn't mean we can't give them all a run for their money.  The
JSR88 plugability should help us a whole lot in this regard. ; )

Best,
--
N. Alex  Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)