Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Stephen More <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/24 16:15:27 UTC

[ApacheDS] Implementing an alternative Backend

I see there is not alot of information on the web page about building
and alternative Backend. Can someone point me in a good direction to
get started ? Is there an example pom.xml with dependencies to build a
backend ? Once I build my class file, how do I install/configure it so
it can be used ?

I want to create a bridge between Outlook Address Book and a SQL
database. I figured the best way would be to use Apache Directory and
write a custom Backend using JDBC calls to my DB.

Any help is appreciated.

-Steve More

Re: [ApacheDS] Implementing an alternative Backend

Posted by Stephen More <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Can you create a JIRA ? We wilol try to update the doco in one big
> shot, but having a list of outdated pages in JIRA will certainly help.
> And if you have some proposal for a better page, feel free to attach
> it :)

Sure: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIR-237

In my quest I have found that ApacheDS 1.0.x works well with
Thunderbird, but not Outlook 2003.
So I decided to give 1.5.x a go only to find that the 1.5 docs seem to
be a copy from the 1.0 branch ( not very accurate ). Would you like me
to create a JIRA for each doc issue, attach all items to 1 JIRA, or is
there a way I can help directly with the documentation ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Stephen More <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone make an update to this web page:
>    http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/implementing-an-alternative-backend.html
>
> here is a little example for version 1.0.X

Can you create a JIRA ? We wilol try to update the doco in one big
shot, but having a list of outdated pages in JIRA will certainly help.
And if you have some proposal for a better page, feel free to attach
it :)

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Implementing an alternative Backend

Posted by Stephen More <st...@gmail.com>.
Can someone make an update to this web page:
    http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/implementing-an-alternative-backend.html

here is a little example for version 1.0.X

-Steve

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.
hi Stephen,

Posted by Harakiri <ha...@yahoo.com>.
For what you want to do, you dont need to implement a custom backend - a custom search interceptor is the way to do. Its quiet each to implement, just implement the interceptor interface, overwrite the search method and - this is the research part you have to do on your own, figure out how to return the correct values (i.e. howto create a serversearchentry etc)