Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Houman Moshtagh <de...@yahoo.de> on 2002/09/09 10:13:05 UTC

reserved namespaces

Hello,

I have still a last question about namespaces.  Well any namespace prefixes are arbitrary and the user made namespaces are used to qualify an element (to prevent a namespace conflict).

But what's about these type of namespaces "http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope" ?

Is it that what I think, the Parser read the XML Document at the runtime and as soon as it reads a reserved namespace like "http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope" or this one "http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-encoding", it loads the referenced Schema locally (and not from the Internet) and then continues to parsing.

Is it like that?

regards
Houman

---------------------------------
Gesendet von http://mail.yahoo.de.
Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de.

Re: reserved namespaces

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
And BTW, Apache SOAP does not use WSDL to understanding typing.  It relies
on xsi:type attributes in the elements.  Apache Axis uses WSDL.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
Yes, you could change namespaces and have Apache SOAP still parse the
messages.  However, your client code and/or service deployment descriptor
needs to reflect these changes if they relate to the element's data type.

When parsing a SOAP message, Apache SOAP uses the type specified in the
element to determine the Java data type to which to deserialize.  For
example, the element

    <foo xsi:type="xsd:string">bar</foo>

is type xsd:string.  Apache SOAP will convert the "xsd" prefix to a
namespace, then use the combination of that namespace and "string" to look
up a deserializer in its type mappings.  If you were to change the namespace
to which xsd refers, you would need to provide a matching type mapping.

Scott Nichol

Posted by "T. Carson Hager" <ca...@cynergysystems.com>.
RMI - Remote Method Invocation - this is effectively the API to make
method calls on remote Java objects residing on EJB application servers
such as WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.

JMS - Java Message Service - This is a part of the J2EE specification
that addresses both publish and subscribe messaging services.  It is a
generic API that message service providers implement so that their
message providers ( Sonic MQ, IBM MQ Series, etc. ) can play nicely in
the J2EE world.  To get at what you're really looking for, it's
messaging.

The reason that they say that these are more reliable is that these
specifications ( actually it's more the underlying
providers/implementations ) is that HTTP does not have anything built
into the protocol for guaranteed delivery of the message,
non-repudiation, etc.  However, I would argue that these are better
implemented through an exchange of messages, possibly in an asynchronous
fashion so that you don't suffer from the weaknesses of HTTP.  The
reason that I say this is that a reliance upon RMI or JMS removes one of
the most powerful aspects of Web Services, which is openness.  These
protocols are very much Java-specific and if you were going to use them,
I would further argue that Web Services are unnecessary overhead.

Carson

_________________________________
T. Carson Hager
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
http://www.cynergysystems.com
866-CYNERGY

RMI , JMS, whats that?

RMI , JMS, whats that?

Posted by Houman Moshtagh <de...@yahoo.de>.
Hello,

M�chten Sie mit einem Gru� antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de

RE: reserved namespaces

I am not an expert on XML Schema, but I will give this a try.

1. A parser only needs to refer to the schema if it is validating the
document.  The document can be parsed without the schema.  Apache SOAP does
not turn on validation in the XML parser.

2. The URI of the namespace is arbitrary.  It may refer to a physical entity
(e.g. an XML document) or an abstract one.  Even when there is an XML schema
associated with the namespace, the namespace itself need not refer to the
XML schema directly.  The namespace need only match the targetNamespace from
the <schema> element of the XML schema document.  (Technically, one can have
an XML schema without a targetNamespace, which means the schema applies to

Re: reserved namespaces