Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com> on 2001/02/19 12:23:10 UTC

Apache::DBILogger - developers wanted!

Hi,

I had a volunteer to help out maintaining Apache::DBILogger (Jens
Kristian Soegaard - thanks!) so I finally got around to put it into
sourceforge instead of just in my own local repository.

I think that I have found most of the bug reports and patches I've
received and put them into sourceforge's bug and patch systems.

Anyway, there's a billion interesting things that could be cool to
do with the package that could make it really useful. If you want to
help out, please send a mail to dbilogger-dev-subscribe@lists.netcetera.dk.

http://dbilogger.sourceforge.net/

:-)

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://ask.netcetera.dk/>
more than 70M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>

Re: Apache::DBILogger - developers wanted!

Posted by Tim Bunce <Ti...@ig.co.uk>.
On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 03:23:10AM -0800, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a volunteer to help out maintaining Apache::DBILogger (Jens
> Kristian Soegaard - thanks!) so I finally got around to put it into
> sourceforge instead of just in my own local repository.
>
> I think that I have found most of the bug reports and patches I've
> received and put them into sourceforge's bug and patch systems.
>
> Anyway, there's a billion interesting things that could be cool to
> do with the package that could make it really useful. If you want to
> help out, please send a mail to dbilogger-dev-subscribe@lists.netcetera.dk.
>
> http://dbilogger.sourceforge.net/
>
> :-)

FYI, I took a quick look at the docs:

: LOCKING ISSUES
:
: MySQL 'read locks' the table when you do a select. On a big table (like
: a large httpdlog) this might take a while, where your httpds can't
: insert new logentries, which will make them 'hang' until the select is
: done.
:
: One way to work around this is to create another table (f.x.
: requests_insert) and get the httpd's to insert to this table.

Another useful approach would be to use 'insert DELAYED ...'.

And another point worth noting is that 'select SQL_BUFFER_RESULT ...'
can be used to get the mysqld to buffer the results on the server ASAP
then release the read lock before sending to the (possibly slow) client.

Tim.