Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Marica Tan <ct...@exist.com> on 2009/02/02 01:44:37 UTC

Re: Missing Functionalities in Distributed Builds

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 27/01/2009, at 4:21 PM, Marica Tan wrote:
>
>  Here are a list of functionalities needed in distributed build
>>
>> 1. Fix update project from working copy
>> 2. Fix capturing of scm changes
>> 3. Should only build when there are scm changes
>>

> is that implied by (1) or something different?

They are all related.

>> 4. Agent group
>> 5. Selection of agent
>>

> is this grouping by some classification? Like "Windows"?

We can have the user select which agent to add in a group and have that
group attached to a build environment? So instead of agent attached to a
build environment, it will be group of agents.

>> 6. Fix release in distributed build
>>

> I don't quite understand the problem here - is it special, or is the
> release just not being farmed out to a build agent?

We can't do release from a build agent.

Posted by Marica Tan <ct...@exist.com>.
Updates on Missing functionalities in Distributed Builds:

Finished:
1. Update of project from working directory
    - when project information in pom.xml was changed, continuum project is
now also updated.
2. Capturing of scm changes
    - fixed scm changes in the build results
3. Should Build when there are changes
    - added a changelog after checkout/update to get the latest commit date
    - compare the last commit date of the previous build with that of the
current build to know if there are changes before building

On Going:
1. Selection of agents
2. Agent Group
    - Still reviewing patch submitted by Jan
3. Viewing of working copy from build agent
    - Testing

Not yet started:
1. Releasing from build agent

--
Marica

Re: Missing Functionalities in Distributed Builds

Posted by Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We can have the user select which agent to add in a group and have that
>>> group attached to a build environment? So instead of agent attached to a
>>> build environment, it will be group of agents.
>>>
>> Sounds good to me..  I'll take a stab on 4 & 5 and see what I can contribute..:)
>
> What did you have in mind for this?  We had some other conversations
> about how groups and selection should work, for example that an
> administrator has to be in control of where a project is allowed to
> build, and some thoughts about whether to require explicit
> configuration of agents into groups, or whether it would be capability
> based and more automatic.

My idea is to require explicit configuration of agents into groups,
and then linked that to a build environment. And then for future
enhancement,  add the capability based feature.  To make it simple,
capability based feature will be defined on per agent basis.  So if a
project group-A doesn't define a build agent group then  it will just
use the capabality-based criteria in choosing the agent,  otherwise it
will try to filter the agent by it's build agent group and capability
based criteria.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Added the jira : http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-2056